Monday, September 03, 2007

Weekend

A brief update on the wedding. The package arrived on Friday. The dress was OK. I should have ordered it in two sizes at least. The size I had worked, but was actually too big - which made me feel good since my shape must be 'changing' a bit. It would have 'worked' but I wasn't sure about it and the length was a teeny bit long. So I decided to see what I had in my closet that might work. I had a wide selection of skirts - none really 'evening' like. But amidst all the 'stuff' I found a sleek pair of black suede like slacks, a black lace tank with lining and a brocade-like jacket. Added the black clutch bag and black boots (which didn't show since I was wearing slacks) and viola, an evening outfit. Not too fancy. I wasn't the only lady in slacks, though there were only a couple. I didn't feel 'out of place' and I would have in the dress...so it worked out OK. Now I have 3 evening gowns and an assortment of accessories to return. I'll work on that later this week.

The commitment ceremony was lovely - very 'text book' wedding, only without the legal part. They make a nice couple and the reception was beautiful. The event was at the Grand Island Mansion in Walnut Grove - the mansion was built in 1917. It's an amazing place - and I'm stuck on researching why someone built that amazing place in Walnut Grove - there's not much up there. It's right on the Sacramento River and I now have a new place to scope out for either a weekend home or a retirement location. Small town near water. Might work.

We didn't stay for cake 'cuz it was taking them forever to get to that and it was getting very hot. And nowhere to sit. And I was already suffering from a 'too much champagne' headache by the time we all went down to the ballroom for dancing and cake. So we headed home - and I've been craving cake ever since, so this evening I made one just for fun! Feel badly for J. since he can only have the teeniest, tiniest sliver. But, we have discovered 'no-sugar-added' Dryer's ice cream and he can have a teeny bit of that. He's doing so well on his diet and I'm so proud of him. AND, he looked FABULOUS in the tux!

I took Saturday off to allow time to frantically shop. Since I didn't have to do that, I ended up cleaning out my closet instead - which was great! Found stuff I'd forgotten I had and made quite a stack for Goodwill. Still have a ways to go but made some progress and feel like I 'gained' a day since I wasn't planning to do that and got it done.

I worked yesterday and today. Year end is an even bigger 'process' than the budget. I am tired of working and need a day or two off - really off. Hopefully, soon. Tomorrow, I head to Sacramento for a budget conference - not a good time to be away from the office but it's been rescheduled 3 times 'cuz of the state budget being delayed - so it's now or never.

The boys enjoyed a 3 day weekend by playing a lot of golf. It's great that they both enjoy it - and so does J. Glad they have something to do together or with friends. H. needed to earn some money so he came to work with me yesterday and I paid him to help me make some photocopies, 3-hole punch and put stuff in binders, etc. I appreciated the help and he appreciated the money. A win-win. He did a good job, and I'll hire him again, if he's interested. I pay $10/hour, which isn't bad for working inside where it's cool.

Even with working, it's still been a nice weekend. I loved sleeping in for 3 days in a row - that was great! and I feel pretty rested even with all the working.

The housekeepers come tomorrow - my 'schedule' is completely discombobulated. It feels like a Sunday evening, not a Monday. I'll be off by a day all week.

I heard from my former cow-orker MK today and it was great to catch up with her via email. I haven't seen her in ages and our schedules just seem to never 'blend'. I promised that after the year-end closing madness subsides, I'll meet her anywhere she can meet for dinner or lunch or something! Can't wait to catch up with her 'live and in person'!

That's it for now. All's well. Summer is officially winding down and we'll soon be watching the leaves turn (slightly, here). I'm looking forward to cooler weather - we have a ton of yard work to do and it's been way too hot to tackle those projects.






No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...