Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ants

I rushed home at lunch to pick up the cranberry/raspberry jello salad in the fridge for our potluck today. Knew there was no way I could just get the salad and go without giving the dogs a mid-day potty break. As I was taking them out, I noticed there were ants on the coffee table - trailing up one leg, and into a glass of soda and all over a frozen 'push pop' lid the kids left on the table. I took the dogs out, got them 'done' with their duties, and rekenneled them. Used some ant spray left by our pest control company...and then noticed more ants. And more, and more...legions of them. Some had found one lone piece of teeny tiny dog kibble and were viciously swarming it to get it back to their nest. Then found the 'entry' point, by the corner windows. And they had trailed around the fireplace, around the small set of doggie stairs we have, across the floor, branching off for the coffee table, then the dog food. And since that wasn't enough - headed down the hallway towards the laundry room.

All this happened in less than 4 hours. There were no ants this morning. Not one. And by the time I returned just over 4 hours later, we were invaded. And the pest company was just here a few days ago. The weather has gotten considerably cooler the past few days - and we've had a lot of wind storms that have made it even colder - so perhaps they just headed for warmth.

I went around outside expecting to see them trailing out there into the house. But no sign, which means they are UNDER our house. Nesting there. Waiting.

I'll be calling the pest company again and asking for something a bit 'stronger'. I dislike ants. Really....dislike....ants. I don't like having to kill them with a spray and then sweep up the remains later. I don't like coming home for a quick errand or even an actual lunch break and find myself faced with armies marching through our house. It really wrecks a mid-day break. And I don't get a lot of those.

J. celebrated his 58th birthday yesterday. I'm not sure 'celebration' is the correct term, since it was fairly low key. I brought home a couple pieces of carrot cake (frozen) and a very small cheesecake - so he could have a little treat (carrot cake is his favorite). I made burgers and fries. We will go out this weekend for a nice(r) dinner. Weeknights are too rushed for eating out. The kids asked him repeatedly what he wanted and he said 'nothing'. And neither of us 'want' things we don't need. So they'll get J. some golf balls this weekend and maybe play a 9 hole round with him this weekend or one day after school next week.

B. was home a couple days this week with a bad sinus cold. He was pretty miserable for a couple days but is better now. Still surly and grumpy but vertical, at least.

H. is grounded for failing to do the ONE CHORE he was asked to do on Sunday morning before I went to work for a bit. He's not pleased about it - but I remind him that it was him who created the grounding. And no, I will not negotiate a 'lesser sentence' - though I'd like to because the whining, and grouchiness this punishment has subjected us to for the past 4 days is hard to endure. But I will prevail. He has freshman-itis, I think, where life is all about social things. He wakes up thinking of his 'social activities' above all else, and 'forgets' virtually everything else he's asked to do. Or be responsible for. It's fun monitoring a grumpy 14 year old.

I am exhausted. Really tired, again. We've had busy weekends the past couple months, on top of busy weeks at work. I'm in desperate need of some 'quiet' time. I'm hoping/planning to take off the next two Wednesdays just for a mid-day break. My plan for Thanksgiving week off will not be happening. A class one day, an audit meeting the next. And my extra days off at Christmas to create 3 weeks off in a row won't be happening, either, since a class and other meetings are quickly filling my calendar. So I figured I'd use up some of the days by taking some midweek days off instead. Sleep in a bit. And maybe head to Jackson for a little slot action and a nice lunch.

J. is scheduled to be on PTO all next week - he has a jillion days he needs to take. I'll have some 'lists' of things he can do when he's not playing golf - including filing our taxes since the 'extension filing deadline' is fast approaching. They owe us, so it would be nice to have that money. And for his birthday, he has a 'blank check' to go flying - he'll have to have an instructor with him since he isn't licensed anymore - but he'll enjoy the flight(s) even with the required assist. And if it's not too, too much $$, he might take the boys with him for a flight. They'd love it! I'll pass since small planes are not my thing.

We are happy another Survivor started tonight. We look forward to Thursdays during Survivor seasons. We've watched every single show - though the boys aren't into it much anymore, J. and I enjoy watching together.

This is a rambling post. Sorry. I have so many things I think of to write about and then when I have the 'time', I just sort of try to get 'caught up' first.

1 comment:

DickTracy said...

I recently dug up a portion of my back yard to do some retaining wall work and a swarm of red ants (fire ants) broke loose from underground and started crawling all over my yard...

I bought this box of granules from OSH (I forget the name), anyways it destroys ant colonies completely.. all you do is sprinkle the granules around and the ants carry them off to the colony for food.. after eating it , they die over a matter of days, and once the queen in the colony eats some she dies and the colony will perish...

Also I bought an ant PEN.. it is a pen, looks like a marker, and you draw invisible lines with the fluid in it, near the entry points near your door, garage etc... it keeps them from crossing the line...

both these work... Inow have no ant problem

cheers...

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...