Saturday, September 15, 2007

Shower

Spent a lovely morning/afternoon attending the wedding shower of the always fun Bug. It was great fun to finally meet her friends and more of her family. And visit with old college coworkers who I don't see nearly as often as I'd like. There were games, prizes, great food, wonderful treats and fun times all around. The wedding is only 5 weeks away and the excitement is building. I can't wait for the big day, and neither can the Bug.

It was fun to hear her talking about how she and her soon-to-be-hubby are working through things like budgets and household 'stuff'. There's a lot you don't think about when you move in with someone - and it's fun to see them work through that stuff. And N. was talking about how expensive it was to buy the things you forget you need until you don't have them - like spices, and baking staples, and dish towels, cleaning supplies, etc. She hosted a 'dinner' get together a couple weeks ago and had to keep using the same bowl for things. The chip bowl had to be emptied and no chips available because that same bowl was needed to mix the hamburger meat. She got lots of kitchen things so she'll be better prepared for the next get together.

I never had a wedding shower. My matron of honor didn't work with me - and she had said she would host a shower, but then never did anything about having one. Never asked for a list of people I'd like to invite, etc. I didn't want to 'suppose' so I never mentioned it. And when friends at work did inquire, I always said 'oh, my matron of honor will be doing something'. But it never happened. When my coworkers found out, they were so upset and did throw together a lovely 'dinner out' for me and J., complete with gifts. And it was a fun party, but it wasn't really a 'bridal shower'. I was thinking about that today - how I missed out on all that excitement. When my mom found out, she was so sorry - she said 'I would have flown here and hosted one if I'd known'. Of course, I thought at the time 'well, you never received an invitation for a shower so that could have been your first clue', but in those days, I never voiced those kind of thoughts. And I just said 'oh, it's OK'. But truthfully, it wasn't. My friend let me down big time. What should have been a fun, pre-wedding activity never happened. I've always regretted that. The 'build-up' to my wedding, wasn't. N's had multiple showers, and fittings, etc. all with her family and friends participating. I didn't have much of that.

When Bug opened my gift, I found myself getting all teared up. She truly is the closest thing I'll ever have to a 'daughter'....and being at her shower and seeing how happy and excited she is for her future - so incredibly YOUNG to be getting married but she's never doubted he's the one and they are so great together. A good balance for each other. And it's so fun to watch her be so happy. I just love her and couldn't be happier for her. And I can't wait for the wedding - I am sure I will be bawling through the ceremony and the party after is going to be fab. 'Cuz everything the bug does is just great. She's so sweet, and kind and loving and so amazing. And she's working her butt off doing my old job on top of her regular job without being paid more for all that extra 'stuff'. She's a gem - she really is. I'm blessed to know her and blessed to be her friend - and to have her as mine.

Congrats, Bug. Enjoy these special times. There's nothing like being newly married.

Oh, and a 'happy anniversary' to my own true love. 18 years ago this evening, he asked me to marry him. I said yes. The rest is history. I love you, wook. You've made these years the best of my life.


1 comment:

Jim said...

Love you too! You're the best thing that ever happened to me.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...