Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Recipe

I arrived home and immediately started dinner. That appears to be the key - just hit the deck running. Don't sit for a minute. Don't read the mail, log on to the computer, etc. Just head straight for the kitchen. It is also vastly 'easier' to cook when I already have an idea of how to answer the 'what's for dinner' question. Since J. was diagnosed with diabetes, we eat out far, FAR less. So I'm getting better at planning meals - and having something in mind makes it so much easier.


Tonight, we had spaghetti. And I'm writing this because the sauce was SPECTACULAR - and I hope to repeat it. I always try to plan spaghetti after we've had something else tomato-ysaucy - like sloppy joe's which we had last night. So I put the leftover sloppy joe mix, two jars of Trader Joe's marinara sauce and....this is the secret part....1/2 jar of Trader Joe's pineapple salsa in a sauce pan. Added about 1/4 cup of Splenda 'cuz sugar enhances tomato flavor so much only we try to not add sugar to anything. It was DELICIOUS. Seriously great. That salsa is just the best and I owe it all to my Aunt M. who introduced us to it during her visit here last month. AWESOME. Served with whole wheat spaghetti, salad and Parmesan toasted french bread. Kids are fed and happy so that's one thing off my 'list' of evening things. They didn't comment on the sauce - yet. They probably will. I know (hope) J. will love it.

This morning, I was lying in bed around 4AM, on my back. Thinking 'should I get up or try to sleep a bit more'. And I moved - have no idea how, in what way - but a slight change in position resulted in a very serious neck pain...which is still with me this evening. I took ibuprofen all day but can barely move. Driving was a challenge. Backing up is almost impossible 'cuz I can't turn my head around that far. I hope it heals up quickly and sleeping tonight will be a challenge. I did sleep, last night, though - for 6 hours straight, which is great. Woke up early but felt rested and ready for the day. Which was a good thing 'cuz it was a heck of a day. And tomorrow is looking much the same. Busy times.

On a good note, a report I had thought was due in October is actually due in December....so once next week's board meeting is past, I'll be on a slower slope for a bit. Not much slower, but a bit. Hopefully, I won't be working both days of the weekend and long days M-F as I have been. I'd be thrilled with a two day weekend - and might even be able to wedge in a 3 day in October if I time things right.

I'm so looking forward to Christmas this year. Probably because I'll be off for 3 weeks in a row and I can't wait for that. But also because it's Christmas - my favorite holiday, favorite time of year. I can't wait for Christmas Eve church services and Advent and all the songs and the poinsettias, etc. I'm just looking forward to it so much this year - the most I've anticipated the holiday since my mom died. Maybe the sadness of that holiday is finally 'past' and I'm really going to enjoy it again. Yes, I miss her. We all do. But the sadness that used to present itself every time I thought about that holiday time is gone...replaced with joyous anticipation and glee. It's going to be great. And sleeping in 23 days in a row will certainly help renew my energy.

I gave in to the kids pleas for Netflix. The first two movies arrived today - both 'chick flicks' for me to watch. I'm not sure we'll save money doing this, but having them order what they want to see online and not having to schlep to and from the video store weekly will be nice. And it is nice to 'browse', click a button and be 'surprised' at what's going to arrive in your mailbox. Now I just have make time to watch the movies and put them back in the mail. We signed up for a plan that has no limit on the number of movies we can have out at once and also has down loadable movies. It should be cool. I always see teasers for movies I want to see, never actually get around to seeing them and then forget all about them. This will hopefully help - as new movies are released, I'll see them and select and they'll arrive in the mail....with a surprise factor since I'll never know what's coming next. Well, that's not true - they do email me to tell me what's shipped - which I like since the email 'trail' will help me remember what we have and then I can delete the email when we've mailed it back. Try it!

OK, it's only 6:30 but I'm feeling sleepy - and one of my efforts at getting better/more sleep is to go to bed when I feel tired. Otherwise, I stay up and get my 2nd wind and am up all night. So I'm going to call it a night shortly.

Hasta manana. Have to practice my Spanish since I have two boys in the house learning the language.



No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...