Thursday, August 02, 2012

Mandatory

Poor H. is heading into work at an unbelievably early hour - entering the 'mandatory overtime' phase of his employment.  They work 6AM to 6PM today - and that will be the 'new normal' for some time, from what he says.  I am starting to really see why they go through a temp agency for workers - 'cuz it takes a pretty strong drive and work ethic to put in those kind of hours.  He's not doing a desk job - he's moving boxes, palettes, etc. .  Hard, heavy work.  But he's doing it.  I am very proud of him.  Jobs are few and far between these days and he's found a good one and is sticking with it.  And the money will be nice, too....

I am also heading in very early this morning...dinner with a friend this evening means leaving work by 4:30ish or so...and that's 'early' for me.  So in early to try to get another hour into my day.  I am going to bed before 9 these days in an attempt to get more rest.  Hoping that will improve my outlook some.  Sleep is my cure-all....and it's been lacking lately.  Working on fixing that...but hot flashes and restlessness make that a challenge.  Motherhood and menopause are not for sissies....

J. is working on the pantry...he still has a lot to do 'cuz he's made two shelves look amazing but there are other shelves that need culling...and that culling will impact the two shelves - so it will be an ongoing process.  Still, it looks terrific!  Thanks, sweets!!

I am enjoying the luxury of my own shower...including having products galore all to myself.  I can use my 'special' shampoo for thinning hair and not fear the boys will use it when they run out of Dove.  They went through a $25 bottle of shampoo in a week a few months ago - thus bringing an end to my vain attempt to add thickness to my hair.  Now, it's just me in that shower - so I have procured additional ridiculously expensive shampoo and am back on the program.  No comment yet on if I think it's working.  (I think it is...but am not positive)....so if I end up in a couple months with visibly thicker hair where it was horribly thinning, I will endorse the product then.  For now, I am trying stuff.  We'll see.

The solar engineer was here this week to sketch out the location of the panels on our roof.  J. showed me an aerial shot with the panels roughly sketched in - and I said 'is that our house'?  The pool looked 'curvy' - and we don't have any curves in our pool.  It's all straight edges and angles - no curves.  Guess the pool cover gave it that 'look'.  Next phase is awaiting approval from the county permitting department - that could take awhile.  PG&E was close to $600 this month - so I am really looking forward to moving off the grid and onto alternative power.  Go solar!!

Heading to shower.  Sprinklers just came on and that means if I really, truly intend to be at my desk by 6, I have one half hour to get there.  Very do-able when your commute is three minutes - I do love that part of my job.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...