Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Buzzing

A phone is buzzing in the room over my head - son #2's alarm is blaring - he's in the shower.  It's early - approaching 6AM - I've been up for 2.5 hours.  Um....it's going to be a long day.

I am resorting to bringing a stack home each evening that I get up early to sort and file and execute.  Last night, I even grabbed the massive stack of 'signing folders' that people have created for me. 

It's the first official week of a new school year and the meeting calendar this week is mind boggling.  Our first cabinet meeting yesterday was close to 5 hours!  Oh - I made The Pioneer Woman's vanilla scones for the meeting and boy, they were a hit!  Everyone raved about them and a couple people said 'can you make this every meeting'?  They were a lot of work but I will get my method down to a science eventually.  They were delicious - better than the Starbucks mini scones which they are modeled after. 

Tomorrow, J. and I are heading to SF (I'm taking a mid-week day off!  Take that, work life balance!) to see Les Miserables at the Orpheum.  I dream of sleeping in a bit in the morning but may just treat it like a normal day off, get up around 6 and work a bit on year-end stuff that I will undoubtedly cart home tonight.  With laptop.  That's serious....bringing home the laptop to remote in to our network from home is a great thing to have - but I don't do it much 'cuz I live so close to work, what's the point?  I should be more disciplined about working at home when I intend to work at home - but it's very hard. 

However, this morning, I have stuck to 'the plan' and spent part of these very early morning hours sorting through stuff and prioritizing.  And recycling/shredding stuff that is no longer needed.  My new assistant starts in two weeks and I want to attempt to have things at least categorized for her so she can help me create files/binders for stuff.  Construction projects sure do build up a lot of paper in a very short time. 

I've also been on the phone with Chuck....you know him....Charles Schwab.  I love how they are available 24/7 and while the first person I talked to had to transfer me to a 'licensed broker' and the licensed broker couldn't answer my question either but said he'd contact the 'money moving department' at 8AM ET and call me back, it wasn't that successful of a call.  All the ins and outs of trading mutual funds leads to more questions.  Still, they are very helpful - and very chipper.  The poor girl who first spoke to me probably thought 'this lady sounds incoherent'.  I was...it was 3:45AM PST and she was the first conversation I was having - before coffee!  We made it through...long enough for her to transfer me, anyway.  Maybe she just wanted to get rid of the call ASAP...crazy lady on the other end of the phone is probably not the best way to start or end her day, either. 

Phone buzzing overhead has stopped.  It's now very close to 6AM so I need to get dressed, repack up the now sorted 'stuff' and head in for another day of business! 

It's going to be a(nother) great year....

PS - I don't like how blogger is adding 'hyper links' to my posts.  The phrase 'work at home', for example.  I'm not sure what I did that made it start doing that but as soon as I figure it out, I will stop it.  I intensely dislike that....

PPS - Chuck called back as promised.  Trade executed.  Whew....  And the guy's name was really Charles...'hello Majah this is Charlie from Charles Schwab'....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...