Thursday, August 09, 2012

Les Mis

What a day we had yesterday....so fun....

First, we saw the 25th anniversary version of the play - and I recalled that when I was 27 and people mentioned the play, I nixed ever seeing it - 'cuz the buzz at the time was 'it's awesome - but it's 3 hours long and they sing everything'.  I remember thinking 'no way.  Not interested'.  But fast forward 25 years and my 52 old self loved every single minute of the three hours.  It was FANTASTIC!  I am so glad we went.

It started off a little rocky.  We headed to Dublin/Pleasanton BART around 11 - giving us plenty of time to get to the city and get a bite to eat before the 2PM show.  Only there was no parking.  Not in any of the outdoor lots; nor the two parking garages (one on each side of the freeway).  So we went to the West Dublin station - same thing.  We wasted 40 minutes and decided to just drive to the city....and my 52 year old self gave the wheel to J. 'cuz I refuse to drive in the city.  I'd rather torture myself fretting about the drive; the lateness; the traffic; the bridge.  OH MY GOD - the bridge.

The Bay Bridge is being rebuilt.  It's a fascinating process....and after years of work, they are starting to string the suspension cables.  From an engineering and curiosity standpoint, there is nothing I would enjoy more than watching them work.  It's an amazing thing to watch it come together.  But I am bridge-phobic.  I don't know when it started or even how it started - quite possibly it can be tied to the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 when my beloved (and fiancee of only a few weeks) called me to say that he was still alive (thank God) and he and friends were heading across the bridge towards the East Bay - and I had to tell him he couldn't do that.  He said 'huh?'.  I said 'you can't do that because the bridge collapsed - the upper deck fell onto the lower deck and you can't get across'.  With no power, no news, no radios - they had no idea.....

So that seismically insufficient section of the bridge is being rebuilt - and you think about that as you watch the new bridge being built right next to the old.  You see the new bridge taking shape with the cables starting to be connected to support the suspension portion of the bridge - and you are on the section of the bridge that in the event of another earthquake would in all likelihood collapse again.  That fact has never set well with me - but even more so when the obvious replacement bridge is right there next to you....so it freaks me out a little bit.  Why is mortality so dis-easing? 

But you get past that....and you move on to the suspension part of the seismically fine section of the bridge....and then you see this.


And this....



And then.....


And I feel myself relax....feel my entire body just 'let down'....I love this city.  It is incredibly amazing....

We made it in time to grab a very quick lunch at a diner on Market Street.  Found parking near the theater and I was thrilled that they parked for you - they had to 'cuz it was the teeniest lot ever and they had a lot of cars crammed in there.

The show was amazing and while our seats weren't the best, they were OK.  The three hours passed quickly.

We've started watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on TV so we looked for restaurants near the Orpheum - and found Rocco's.  Made reservations for 5:30 - which weren't necessary but they took them just to be safe.  It isn't too crowded that early.

I had this.


Chicken picatta with pasta bolognese.   Jim had their special ravioli with the bolognese sauce - we had seen them make that sauce on TV so that's what we wanted to try.  OMG - it was fantastic.  Shared a glass of red wine - we were driving after all and wanted to be sure we'd be OK.  Finished the meal with mango raspberry sorbet dunked in white chocolate.  Guarantee it was homemade - and so delicious.  If I'd had a freezer in our car, I would have purchased all they had to take it home.  The owner of the restaurant [the guy who was on TV] came over to see if we enjoyed everything - we assured him we did and we'd be back.  I think dinner at Rocco's after a show will be our new San Fran routine.

Heading home on the bridge - this time on the underdeck where all you have to worry about is being crushed should the upper deck collapse - and home by 8.

It was a lovely day with my beloved and I can't wait to take a day trip with him again very soon!  I could sure get used to not working Wednesdays.  Only two work days on either side seems like such a great idea...never work more than two days in a row...until I realize that I am often working weekends so that doesn't exactly work.  But in theory it sounds lovely.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...