Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tropical

The weather here has turned partly cloudy with RAIN!  Hard to believe but true.  It's not a heavy rain but it's not a sprinkle either.  It's slightly overcast and somewhat muggy - and we don't get a lot of 'muggy' here so we're enjoying the change.

J. just left to go canvas neighborhoods confirming support for the candidate he's been stumping for.  He's trying out his new shoes that were special ordered - good reviews for support and comfort and that's what he needs.  He will be home for lunch and then heading to Costco for our weekly drip to our grocery store.  I want to put the 16 count box of Drumsticks on the list - they are in the coupon book so they are on sale! - but I won't.  I know the kids would eat most of them but we would eat some, too and we shouldn't.  So I'm putting two containers of fresh pineapple on the list instead of one and sticking with fruit when we need a little treat.  J. will be relieved 'cuz we'd have to stick them in the freezer here and there and that's a lot of stuff to cram in.  We need a garage refrigerator/freezer and every time I get ready to buy one, I read articles about how difficult it may be to keep them from leaking, etc.  The hot/cold of garage life is a challenge for most household refrigerators.  I just can't figure out if that's a gimmick to sell the hugely expensive 'garage appropriate' unit (which also doesn't get great reviews) or not.  Oh well.  Having that extra cold space would probably result in a lot of really bad things being too easily available to eat.  So it's probably best to just not go there.

That was a long meandering paragraph on the merits of cold storage.

I am heading to the office soon - I did sleep in 'cuz yesterday really zapped me.  I was exhausted.  Went upstairs to sleep at 5 - intending just a little cat nap to get me through to bed time - and woke up at 8PM.  Back to sleep at 11 and slept until 7!  Did have to work at going back to sleep at 6 but I managed.

There's so many things going on at work that I don't write about and I often wish I could.  Just get it all out there...but I won't.  It is what it is....and it's all fine (for me).  I keep reciting the mantra 'change is often hard' and try to keep moving forward.  I said to my boss that starting the 4th year we've worked together feels like 10 - and there's some truth to that.  The pace is just mind-boggling and the challenge of keeping that momentum is gob-smacking on a daily basis.  Reflective of a place where that pace of change has long been suggested (even needed) and now it's finally starting to happen.  Good things everywhere and taking a stellar district to new heights.  But boy howdy, sometimes the mind has to grapple with the pace.  I can do this.  I want to do this.  It's never the work.  Ever.  I love the work.  It's just my 50+ year old body and mind trying to keep up - 'tis a challenge sometimes.

On that note, I head in for a long day but know progress will be made.  The office culling has helped so, so much - and I am so glad I took a day when the mood struck this past Tuesday to just keep going.  It was a day I should have worked on massive projects, etc. but spending that day getting rid of stuff I've never even touched (after five years) and moving things around so that the files in my desk are what I need (vs. on top of my desk in a stack) has made a world of difference.  And I am spending a few minutes throughout the day to keep things tidy.  Putting things back.  Filing right away if it's something I need or a current project.  What a difference.  And now, when papers are reviewed, I know there's a place for many of them - so the stacks are lessening.  Huge weight off.  You can see wood now! more often than not!  Yeah to fake wood!

Happy Saturday!  Tonight is fresh salmon (on the Costco list) with fresh squash and tomatoes (not from our garden - our squash plants not only didn't thrive, they died within a couple days of flowering and I don't grow big tomatoes) from my friend's garden.

And maybe a Saturday evening treat of McDonald's chocolate dip cone or an ice cream sundae!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...