Wednesday, August 22, 2012

All Systems Down

I have looked forward to today all week.  Post board meeting...and a meeting free day.  Big plans to just spend the day working on year-end stuff and getting a lot done so I can move on to the next list of year-end things still needing to be done.

The system was down when I arrived and stayed down.  No access to the finance system or email.  Had email on our phones (different server at our county office and didn't require the Internet) but you can't really transact a lot typing on an iPhone.  I know Siri would try to type for me - I need to write about her someday - but it's still not a great method.

After three hours of tidying and organizing, my boss popped by to ask me something and I said 'hey, I hear the VPN (Virtual Private Network) is up so I think I might head home and try to work there.  OK with you?'  'Of course'...which I knew he would say.  He can probably sense the growing panic in my voice as the deadline looms ever closer....and the piles of purple paper on my desk grow and migrate.  I use different colors each year - it just helps designate the 'year-end' stuff on my desk from the non year end stuff - it's crazy but it works.  This year's color is a lovely lavender.  I just use what we have around....

So I head home, unpack, set up my office in the dining room, get working away....and then start getting a gazillion emails - and find out we are back up.  I want a tuna sandwich for lunch with Lay's potato chips on it - but sadly, there is no bread.

I head back after getting a $1 McChicken sandwich and manage to get quite a bit done.  Thank goodness.  Tomorrow is a 'meetings all day' kind of day - so not much year-end will happen.  Friday's a clear(er) day - and then there's the weekend.  Another weekend in the trenches.  Oh well.

I took a co-worker to pick up her car that was in the shop and it was a welcome excuse to leave at 4.  And while I should have gone back, I didn't.  Headed to Winco and did a grocery shop - haven't been there in about a month and we were low on staples like flour, sugar, etc.  Also got some bagels, noodles, Pop Tarts and cereal 'cuz son #2 isn't eating much/well and it's because he has his 'list' of things he likes to have on hand and I realized they were all out of stock.  So now we have plenty again.     A bagel and cream cheese will be packed for my breakfast tomorrow and some yummy grapes.  And we have bread again...but tomorrow, post-meeting, we are going to The Squeeze Inn for lunch!  I'm having chicken tacos!  With cheese skirt.

Hump day is officially winding down.  I'd be excited about the weekend but we all know how that's going to turn out.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...