Wednesday, November 17, 2010

William & Kate

It was a great day yesterday - for Kate and Prince William to finally make it official. I have a slight obsession with The Royal Family and can't wait for their wedding.

I watched William's parents wedding on a teeny TV at 3 in the morning in 1980. I had only lived alone - in my very first apartment which was abysmal, as most first apartments are - for a month or so. It was a beautiful thing to be a 'part' of - and to know the whole world was watching. And I'll get to do that again someday soon - watching from a much nicer venue these days.

I loved Princess Diana and still remember the night we learned she had died. We had come in from dinner out and the TV news was all abuzz. I remember vividly one major newscast anchor stating there were indications Diana was OK - that she was awake and talking. Only minutes later, we learned she died - and I cried right there on the couch. So shocked. So incredibly sad. I knew it was irrational to feel a loss so deeply for a monarch in another country - but, well, if you loved Princess Diana, you understand. She really was 'the people's princess' and she really had a heart for serving her country. And she was a great mother who deeply loved her children and that came through in every interview. I cried for days....as did most of Britain.

For William to give Kate his mother's sapphire engagement ring was the icing on the cake - and even more so if you watch the video of their 'press conference'. He says the ring is very special to him, and Kate is very special to him - and it seems right to bring the two together. And he also says 'and it lets my mother be a part of this very special day'. How sweet is that? Whatever I used to think about Prince Charles, I have to say he's obviously done a great job raising his sons. They are kind and good hearted - at least we certainly see that in William - and that says a lot.

It also says a lot about their late mother - she intended for her boys to have as 'normal' a childhood as possible and I think she's done that. For a future King, William seems as sweet and normal as they come.

Kate is a lucky lady -

This is going to be so much fun!! I know, I know - it's silly. But royal weddings are a once or twice in a lifetime thing. He will be the king of England someday - and while I personally don't think monarchy is a 'great' form of government, it's certainly provided pomp and pageantry to behold - and sometimes, that's nice.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...