Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blue Screen (Again!)

Perhaps the blue screen of death on my laptop is God's way of saying 'get thyself busy, Woman!'. Darn it. I will be schlepping the PC to the repair shop at 10AM once again and begging and pleading with them to at least salvage documents and Quicken....and we might be adding 'need a new PC' to the list of electronics currently 'necessary' in this house.

It poured rain a good chunk of yesterday but there's sunshine now - and the post-rain freshness that is so great! Love the rain, though at first, all I could think about were the new sounds that weren't there last winter. Some suspicious drips.....drip....drip drip......ddddrrrrriiiipppp.....that weren't there last year. J.'s sure it's just various gutter 'issues'. I suggested getting up there and 'fixing' them. He said 'and how would we do that'? HIRE SOMEONE, MY GOOD MAN! Gutters are the lifeblood of avoiding roofing issues....(wow, being responsible for school facilities has really changed me).

I am technically 'off' this week but will be working part of tomorrow. I was out sick on Thursday - bad cold....shocked my boss that I was 'out ill' 'cuz I haven't been 'out ill' in a very long time. Anyhoo....we are doing a series of site budget meetings that start the day we get back from the Thanksgiving break, so we have some final prep to work on. It's fine 'cuz I'm also meeting my friend J. (Hi J.!) in Pleasanton for a long overdue lunch. It's been FOREVER....

So I'll work 1/2 day and then start the official 'break'.

Made a trip to the new WinCo on Friday - massive amount of shopping. I do love the prices - definitely very low. But I'm not a big fan of unloading (onto the belt) AND bagging your own groceries anymore (oh Raley's, how you've spoiled me) so while I might shop there for big occasions, I don't think we'll be making WinCo our regular store. B.'s Savemart attached a notice to their employees paychecks practically begging them to shop at their store. They are even having employees turn in receipts to win prizes - that's how much their business is down since WinCo opened. People look for bargains - I know we do. I do a good deal of my 'staple' shopping now at WalMart - you can't beat the prices. I never thought I'd say that - now I prefer WalMart over WinCo. Wow, this economy sucks.

Intended to go see Harry Potter this weekend but haven't made it there so far. Hopefully sometime this week. It's probably good to get the opening weekend out of the way and let the crowds simmer down a bit - my Eclipse opening weekend experience left a memorable impression. Though HP and the gang don't have the same screaming teenage girl component, you never know.

J. is at church playing music this morning. Yes, I could join him. No, I don't think I will. Instead, I will work on tidying up around here and then get my work laptop out to prepare some things for tomorrow. Trying to avoid having to go (physically) into the office today - 'cuz I'd just rather not.

We may be having H.'s friend from Alameda over later today - signals are unclear. Had a nice conversation with her mom on Friday evening - and it sure sounded like she was planning to come over. But she didn't yesterday. Honestly, H. would prefer to go there - he says 'you guys don't give me enough freedom'. Uh, what? Freedom? Hmmm....maybe I have some questions for the mom next time we chat. Two kids who met in rehab should not be given a TON of freedom.....I know.....they want to 'make out'. I'm good with that - but in this house, remember: we can and will enter without notice. So think carefully....and while H. has never relapsed, she has - twice, that we know of....which happens. But I'm cautious and protective of H. who can still cover his tracks too well and too easily.

OK - off to the kitchen. Second cup of coffee and tidying shall commence. It's cold and I need to go put on warmer clothes.

Happy Sunday - may your gutters stay clear and sunshine prevail!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI...WinCo does constant price comparisons with Walmart, and it has been proven that WinCo is as cheap or cheaper than Walmart for most grocery items.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...