Tuesday, November 23, 2010

86

Today would have been my mom's 86th birthday.

I know the number because my aunt just turned 86 - she is my dad's sister. She and my mom were close over the years. When I saw my aunt was 86 this year, I was momentarily stunned....

My mom is forever frozen at 75. And I guess my head/heart has frozen all of her similarly aged friends and family at the same.

But time has kept moving forward....11 years ago this week, we were celebrating my mom's 75th birthday with a massive surprise party. Family from all over the country flew in to surprise her. It was a great day.

And it was her last birthday, though of course, we didn't know that at the time. Thought it might possibly be - but really didn't know for sure. Cancer is an insidious disease....she was seriously unwell....but we still hoped. It was not to be.

Still miss her everyday. Even miss all of her idiosyncrasies and quirks.

And the other day, I looked at my hand - the hand with her engagement ring on it - and saw her hands. My mother's hands...staring back at me.

I miss you, Mom. I really do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forty four years ago today our Father was buried. Five years ago today I moved out into the world on my own. This date holds many memories. The best was Mom's surprise B-Day party, pleased we were able to pull it off. Still picture the surprise, delight, and joy in her smile and the twinkle in her eyes at that moment! What a marvelous memory for all.

KS

Majah said...

I was thinking of Dad, too, today, KS....how two days ago was the 44th anniversary of the day he left us....wishing I knew him better. Hugs,

Majah

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...