Monday, December 31, 2012

Shellfish

We are ringing in the new year with lobster, pasta, Chips Ahoy and Orange Juice.....

 My grandmother had a zillion orange trees in her backyard.  Growing up, whenever we visited her, we had fresh squeezed juice.  Just typing that makes my mouth water. One of my favorite combos was chocolate chip cookies and fresh orange juice.  I know it's weird - but it's delicious.  J. brought home the best 'store bought' juice I've ever had a couple days ago - and I managed to enjoy a glass with the mini Chips Ahoy Santa put in our stockings this year.  Santa knows what we like....

So after shopping for our dinner (the lobsters are from Costco - the pasta and sauce were pantry items though I did make the sauce 'fresh'), J. stopped at Raley's to get more OJ.  B. drank most of the first container in a day - he is an orange juice fanatic.

We don't usually have juice in the house 'cuz it's drinking a lot of calories and we prefer to eat calories.  But with Chips Ahoy, it's the best 'treat' I can imagine right now.  So J. got more cookies and more juice - for after dinner.  My grandmother used to bake the best cookies on the planet - and I can whip up a fresh batch that's pretty yummy myself - but Chips Ahoy are easy and perfect to accompany juice. 

I have a lot of things to say/share about B.'s departure and I'm sure it will all come spilling out over the next couple days. 

He leaves us tomorrow at around 1:30PM.  He has been tidying his room - and gifting me massive amounts of change for our 'fun money' account.  Today, when I saw the second big bunch of change, I started to count it out to pay him back for it - and he said 'Mom, you and Dad just gave me [insert number here] for Christmas - so I don't need you to pay me for the change.  It's OK.  I'm glad to give it to you'. 

We cleaned out his wallet today - he will take his debit card, $50 in cash and his driver's license.  That's it.  He emptied so much stuff out of his wallet that he needed to go buy a new one to prevent everything from falling out once he culled it down to what he's taking with him.  I have his Discover card, his CSAA (car assist) card, other assorted cards he wants to keep.

He's spending a lot of time snuggling the dog and even spent a little time loving on the cat - as much as said cat would allow, anyway. 

He also walks around sighing a lot.  I ask 'doing OK?' or 'you OK, B.?'.  I know it's just the realization that 'it' is finally happening.  He has enlisted and he is leaving for basic training - and that's a pretty big reality to be staring you in the face. 

Departure is imminent. 

The boys are spending the night at parties - we worry but we worry less because we know where they went and that they will stay where they are.  We don't like them driving around on New Year's Eve and we (of course) do not want them driving if they've been drinking.  So they will stay put.

J. and I are enjoying a quiet evening....and it's approaching 9PM and I am feeling sleepy.  I won't make it to midnight....but I'm sure the neighbors will wake me up at the appropriate hour.  Long enough to say 'Happy New Year' and roll over and go back to bed.

Hello, 2013!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget my father crying the day he dropped me off at college. I'm like him in some ways. But I've already started.

J

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...