Sunday, December 16, 2012

First of Many

We attended church this morning...and with my careful, deliberate cajoling, H. attended also.  We were able to be there for B.'s last performance with the music group.

I didn't think much of it - though I had told J. I didn't think I would go and then texted him (and called him, too) confirming that this would be the last time B. would play - and when he confirmed it was, I decided to go.  I got H. to go too - it's a Christmas miracle sort of.  I think he would have preferred not to go but he did.

Somewhere in the first song, I really 'noticed' the drums.  The things they added to the music.  And then it hit me - it was B. playing....and it was his last time.  And the tears started.  So I stood and sang at the top of my lungs with tears streaming down my face.  Poor H..  Bad enough he 'had to' attend - but now his Mom was losing it standing next to him.

When the entry music ended and J. and B. joined us in the pew, I was totally emotional for a few seconds.  It passed....

I was just thinking a few days ago - before yesterday's events unfolded - that I rarely cry these days.  I accept it as a sign of age and emotional maturity.  Still, sometimes I think it's more just tamping down all the emotions I do have and just not letting them percolate up to the surface.  Crying felt kind of good this morning - and if/when it happens again in the next couple weeks, I think I'm going to give in.  Just let the tears come.

Maybe without yesterday's events, the tears today wouldn't have come....I will never know that....but I know that sitting there with one son watching the other play at church for the last time in who knows how long, I was so grateful to have my kids with me.  Both of them - safe and sound sitting in God's house.

And that feeling was most definitely part of yesterday.  All those families who are missing someone today....

We still have a lot of changes to get through in the next couple weeks.  And many more 'last times'....Christmas Eve; Christmas morning,etc. and I expect them to be hard.

I ran a few errands today and cooked cream of potato soup AND home made mac 'n cheese for dinner.  There's tons left for lunches and dinner tomorrow.  I also got supplies to make chicken fried steaks and then meatballs for spaghetti another night.  My idea of comfort food, I guess.

Tomorrow is wrapping and tidying.  And sleeping in, I hope.

Hug your family -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...