Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Tidbits

You know it's early when you are up and online before Starbucks has reloaded your auto-reload card. Their process of loading first thing in the morning has caused issues, since on at least one occasion, I have been at Starbucks for my morning dose of tea before their reload process has occurred. They're west coast, as am I. Personally, I think they should do their auto reload process around midnight but that's just my opinion. I carry cash or a backup card now just to be safe. Just received the confirming email so I can head to work shortly. Before 6. Yes, that early.

Things I keep meaning to mention and then forget:

Chloe loves mandarin oranges. We've been getting a box of the 'Cuties' a week at Costco - B. has been eating fruit for breakfast. The mandarins are delicious - incredibly sweet. And Chloe just loves them - they are a favorite 'people treat' and her tail wagging enthusiasm when I get one out of the bowl is just another cute thing she does. That, and breathing. Yes, she's THAT cute.

We noticed an older picture of the boys yesterday - actually, it's on my work computer as a background so I see it everyday but really noticed it yesterday when J. sent it to me as an attachment. Clearly shows the changes in the boys since the first day of school - B. is about 40 pounds or so lighter - he's eating better (fruit for breakfast vs. something sweet and gooey is just one example of the sweeping changes he's made to his diet) and exercising daily. He looks great. H. is clearly close to a foot taller. He's all 'manly' now. Deep voice, hair everywhere, and attitude to go with it all. Still, I can't help but notice they are both incredibly good looking. How did that happen? They are hunks, for sure.

B. is going to his Junior prom in April. It's turned into a big mess - the group he was included with realized they were one couple over and B. and his date were the couple bounced. Which left us footing the bill for a limo....and I was more than happy to do that because I felt so bad for them both - their best friends are in the group that did the dumping and apparently, the cost factor was more important than friendship - to split and form a new group left fewer couples to split the costs and so the friends stayed. Leaving B. and his date on their own. But it looks like, for now, there's a possible new group forming - and that's what prom is all about these days. It's a group activity - the more, the merrier. Thank goodness it's not for 7 weeks....tux, limo, flowers, where to go for dinner, etc. all have to be worked out. B. visited his dates home on Sunday evening to 'meet the parents'. He survived - said they were very nice. He was pretty nervous - but made it through.

B. also made a(nother) very stupid decision last week which had me so mad at him I could barely function. Just plain stupidity and not thinking. Neither J. nor I can figure him out - so incredibly smart and responsible in some ways and so completely stupid and thoughtless in others. They say you shouldn't discipline teens in a way that makes them feel they're 'in a hole they can't get out of' - but that's what it's been turning into - restriction upon restriction upon restriction. How restricted can one person be? So we've been trying to make the consequences fast and harsh and then move one. But as I told J. last week 'I feel like I'm in a hole I can't get out of - when does this crap end? When does he stop doing things that are just so incredibly stupid? How long do we wait for THAT?' No reply, because there is no answer. We wait until he grows up, I assume. I hope.

This time three weeks from now, I'll be blogging on a beach in Hawaii. If I live that long. Work deadlines loom larger than life and I'm up early and trying to get to work as early as possible. Attempting to stay late but I like to leave before they lock the gates at 6 - just something about being 'locked in' that I don't like. Much to do, much to do.

OK - heading to work via Starbucks - just after 6. Another long day ahead.

Toodles, my peeps.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...