Monday, March 17, 2008

Screwdrivers

Yesterday, my Lion's club hosted our annual Corned Beef and Cabbage fundraiser dinner. I worked from noon until 9PM non-stop. I did get about 15 minutes to eat with J. and the kids, though honestly, the kids didn't eat. $15 each for a dinner they wouldn't touch - they ate a bit of salad and some dinner rolls - but no meat, no potatoes, and most definitely no cabbage or boiled onions. I don't even think they ate cake. CAKE. When did they start passing up sugar?

It was an incredibly long day. We lightened the mood during the cleanup by having 'cocktails' and I had two Screwdrivers which was preceded by a glass of white Zinfandel while I was manning the drink ticket booth. I didn't feel even 'buzzed' - but 'happy' (J's description). Returned home after massive cleaning up, loaded with leftovers. And I went to bed. And stayed awake all night long. Really. This same thing happened a couple weeks ago when I had a glass of wine with dinner. COULD NOT SLEEP. I knew part of it was related to the excruciating pain in my hips - I am most definitely not used to being on my feet for hours on end and I was/am so sore. I still, 15 hours later, can barely move. I ache. I've taken every pain reliever in the house, with the exception of the stuff I have leftover from my kidney stone episode - and I'll take that this afternoon as soon as I'm home from schlepping H. home from school. I need pain relief and sleep, not necessarily in that order. I hurt. It's time to get cortisone shots in my hip joints again - yes, that is as painful as it sounds, but thankfully, once done, it brings long lasting relief from this daily agony. So that's also being added to my list of 'Majah needs a tuneup' items. Anyway, this morning, I researched a bit on the Internet (love Google) and found a brief mention that when your body is metabolizing the alcohol, it can cause 'wakefulness'. Perfect description of my night.

Thankfully, it was a fun day. We are a great group and we all work well together. Both of the kids and J. (oh, J., you are my hero) helped out tremendously and while it wasn't exactly like a 'recreation' day, it was pretty close. We made a lot of money for Tracy Interfaith Ministries and had a good time doing it. I'm already looking forward to next year....but I'm planning to book the 'day after' off. In advance. I ended up taking today as a 'non-work' day - I didn't call in sick since I'm not using sick time for today - I'm paid by the day and therefore, am just not working today. Had intentions of slipping back to bed after the kids left, but there's plenty to do around here to get ready for our trip - cleaning crew comes tomorrow and we have a lot of 'house' things to get ready. That and moving like I'm 100 years old.

I visited the 'new' kennel this afternoon and LOVE IT. Chloe is going to have an absolute ball there for a week - there's a sweet little dachshund named Mikey there and the two of them are just going to have an absolute blast! She will just love every minute of the time there and I'm so happy we found that place and they had an opening for her. I feel so much better about the trip!

1 comment:

Jim said...

B ate cake. Used both hands and it took him approximately 17 seconds.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...