Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Eyes

I am on a mission to get all my physical/medical appointments DONE. Went to the eye doctor today for the first time in years.

I don't like going to the eye doctor much...never have. I always feel like I'm making 'mistakes' when he does that 'better 1 or 2? Now better 1 or 2?', over and over and with every click, I'm convinced I've just contradicted myself and goofed. And the doctor is secretly chuckling thinking 'moron'. I mean, some of those variances between 1 and 2 are pretty darn subtle - and hard to be sure of in a brief 'click'.

Things have changed - I stopped going to my old eye doctor because he insisted - absolutely insisted - that dilation was the only way to see all of the retina, etc. Yet he still charged extra for the 'Optiscan' machine - new at the time that scanned your eye and let them see the full picture with no dilation needed. And I HATE having my eyes dilated. It triggers a huge headache for me and takes me FOREVER to see properly - so I've avoided it. Combined with switching jobs and rarely driving over the Altamont anymore and certainly not to Pleasanton, it's been a long time since I've had my eyes checked. My glasses were still OK - I knew there was some adjustment needed but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't see with the glasses I had. And I had a decent pair of prescription sunglasses, too. This doctor doesn't see a need for dilation and I was relieved - because it makes me put off going to the eye doctor. And now, I don't have to. I'll go every year. AND, it's in town - so another 'service' I can now get done right here in our home town vs. driving 20 miles.

I ordered new glasses AND new sunglasses and the bill was staggering - and that's even WITH double insurance coverage. But, I need the 'trifocals' transition lenses with the progressive darkening -and glare protection. AND, of course, I didn't like the less expensive frames - I gravitated toward the high end items and finally found a pair of Coach brand. And then used J's coverage to also order a new set of sunglasses - another not inexpensive frame choice. And, we have a flexible spending account for health care and we have to use those dollars on something so I don't feel too badly about that.

J. is ordering two pairs of glasses also and having new lenses put into an old frame - and his total bill for his first pair was less than 25% of my bill. But guys frames ARE less expensive - and he doesn't get the anti glare nor the transition lenses - he just has different glasses for different activities instead.

I don't feel badly about the money - it's taken out of our paycheck before tax and we have to spend it on medical items. And unlike the FSA I have through my employer, which has no debit card feature (and I have a huge stack of receipts to put through against my account that I have no idea when I'll get around to submitting all of them), J's plan does have a debit card which makes it so easy. Done.

They will try to get them in by our trip, though it's doubtful. And I only scheduled the visit on a whim and really don't want to hassle with a fitting appointment next week - I'll have a zillion other things to do both at work and home. So I'm fine with waiting until we're home.

Next on my list of medical things is the annual boob smooshing - which also thankfully can be done in town AND they are not requiring me to drive to Hayward to pick up my old films. They said if the detect any issues needing further consideration, we can get them then. So that will be a relatively easy appointment which I will try to schedule for the Monday I have off after we get home from Hawaii. I'll make that scheduling call tomorrow.

OH - and we found a new kennel IN TOWN for Chloe to board at while we're away. A co-worker recommended them and they keep little dogs inside, with them. The lady said 'my husband loves dachshunds and she'll probably end up on the couch with him much of the time'. I am so happy about that. She won't be kenneled all day (like she would be at our vets office where we were going to take her) and she'll have plenty of attention and other dogs to play with. I'm sure she's going to love it there - it's near our home. I am so happy to have found a 'home-style' kennel - I will feel a lot better about leaving Chloe there for our week away.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...