Sunday, March 30, 2008

Small Steps

I implemented my plan and did make progress. Filled up the 'recycle' tray in our office a few times, culling through the mail stack. Cleared out the newspapers. Filed some bills. Paid some bills. Gave myself a manicure which I desperately needed - sun, surf, wind and salt are hard on your nails. Also gave myself a facial and felt my face was clean for the first time in a week. Picked up the floor of the garage, including moving things onto the 'new' shelves and off the floor.

I did not treat myself to a gingersnap cookie at Starbucks - so I gave myself 15 minutes of computer time. I also did not buy a Key Lime pie at Costco - another 15 minutes. I really should have given myself close to an hour for NOT buying that pie 'cuz I would have had more than one slice, but I'm trying to be 'fair' in my allocation of time as a 'treat' for not eating something I shouldn't. I cooked dinner, made strawberry shortcake for dessert; worked in the kitchen, unpacked, grocery shopped with J., went to the pet store, paid our property taxes (ouch!); worked in the yard a bit (so much to do back there).

I did NOT check work email nor get out my work laptop - which I should have done. But I just can't. Tomorrow will be here in just a few short hours and I'll have to just buckle down and work manically the next few days to get things done. Have to do what I have to do - and I refused to work on my vacation. There was consideration that I should work - but I didn't. We took two laptops with it as it was - and adding a third would have been ridiculous. Anything I wanted to do, I could have done had I hauled the paperwork with me to work on budget, etc. But I decided it was to be a TRUE vacation - and it was. Now, it's over.

It amazes me how just small, baby-steps of 'progress' make me feel so much better. I just 'dug in' - did not leave the computer on - turned it off and closed it up and left the room and worked somewhere else. There IS always plenty to do and I've got my 'list' going so I'll know where to start. It felt really good to be more productive - and to get some things DONE - I hope to stick to this new 'plan'.

Next phase is to add in some exercise time - and I will. As soon as possible. I ordered 'The Bean' - the same 'principle' as an exercise ball and the added benefit of flipping it over and using it to stretch out my back. The Bean has far more 'support' and stability than an inflated ball - and I never feel 'secure' on the ball - The Bean is going to help with that, I think.

We took Chloe to the groomer today for 'the works' - she's got her summer trim now - she looks so incredibly different with all of her long curls trimmed off. She's had a wash, a condition, nails trimmed, teeth brushed, etc. She looks great and smells so much better - the week at the 'dog camp' really had her looking pretty 'doggy'. She's been sleeping a lot - I think she's exhausted from her week of frolicking with the big dogs.

I'm heading upstairs shortly to start my pre-bed routine. The upstairs pets (cats and bird) need attention. Also need to get the 'gifts' I have for my co-workers ready for morning. And figuring out what to wear. And check on the kids - B. had a bunch of homework which he didn't start on until late this afternoon - he assures us he won't be up too late but history has shown he does not judge time very well so I expect he will be up fairly late.

OK - one more thing I keep meaning to comment on. The 'promos' for 'Deal or No Deal' are all hyped up again. We watched last week - the episode that was 'the one to watch'. We were SURE that episode would be a million dollar prize episode. The contestant DID have the million in her case but she stopped with an offer in the mid 300K - yes, a lot of money. But no, not a million. And therefore, not the episode to watch. So now, when they make it sound like THE NEXT episode is THE ONE, I'm kind of like 'yeah, right - I'm not falling for that again'. It would be a hard game to 'go all the way' - I mean, if you have a mid six figure offer as a 'for sure' vs. the chance - even a 50/50 chance at some point, if you can hold out that long - your instinct would be to take the sure thing. I know I would probably want the sure thing myself. So it's not likely anyone will EVER win the million. But it's getting kind of boring watching people NOT win over and over and over. So I don't think I'm going to watch again. If there's ever a winner, it will be on You Tube within a few days and we can watch it there.

Have a good week. To my friend J: I know tomorrow will be hard. It will all be OK. There's always a reason - and you will realize that somewhere down the road in the not too distant future. Hang in there. Get in, do what you need to do and get out. I am at work at my desk all day tomorrow - no meetings scheduled at this point, just plowing through my in basket, my emails, voice mails, etc. I'm available and can easily shut my door if you want to talk. Don't hesitate. I'm giving you a hug via the world-wide-web and wish I could see you tomorrow to give you a hug in person.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...