Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hawaii Trivia

Only in Hawaii do you see the rescue squad vehicles from the Fire Department with surfboards tied to the top. I assume for water rescue. Or maybe just a quick surf now and then if time permits?

We also saw one of those orange 'road repair' announcement signs - dated March, 2005 - so that 'project' has been going on now for 3 years? Yet we saw no visible signs of any work crew or other tell-tale signs of work. Think some project works director forgot to remove the sign? Or perhaps it is still in the works - just not on any part of the highway we drove on. It's possible. The highways are very long here, circling the island.

Surfers surf because they love the ocean and being out in nature. We have seen the same people surfing day after day - out before we get up in the morning and not coming in until darkness forces them to acknowledge that you can't catch a wave you can no longer see, even by moonlight. There are dozens of them out in the surf, all day, everyday. All ages, shapes and sizes. Some of the kids surfing look so incredibly 'small' against the waves - but they move like they are experts. Surfers catch relatively few waves compared to the time they are out on the water - waiting for the perfect wave. They wait and wait - and then catch what they can. They make it look so easy, though we know it's not. They are the definition of dedication to their sport. It's a lot of waiting around for a 10-20 second ride.

Whale spouts do not look like the white water crest of waves. Once you've mastered this concept, you stop thinking every cresting wave on the horizon is a whale. When it's a whale, you'll know it. Whale spouts look just like they do in cartoons - an 'ice cream cone' shape of water, wider at the top, narrow on the bottom. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it. Most whales travel with a 'friend' - and this time of year, it's usually mama whales and their babies. So if you see a spout, you'll likely see more spouts. It's so incredible, even when it's far off shore. They are just amazing creatures.

There are lots of wild chickens running around this island. They are everywhere - wandering the streets, in parking lots, nesting under shrubs. We can't figure out why they are 'around' nor why they stay - but they are here. J. thinks he read somewhere that there are no mongoose on this island, so the chickens have a much higher survival rate. It is funny to see them all day, everyday, wherever we go. And the roosters apparently have no concept of time - they crow all the time, whenever the mood strikes them. It's funny. Thankfully, there aren't any wandering too near our 'home' or they'd be annoying crowing all the time. We just see and hear them when we're out running around.

We are on our last day and I'm finally just now feeling like I'm on vacation. And finally just today 'used' to the time difference. And sadly, we are going home tomorrow. And back to work on Monday. It's sad. Very sad. But it is what it is.

I didn't get a lot of sun today and I'm going to have to 'fake it' by getting sun in the backyard at home. I'm sure I'm just a bit 'more tan' - but the water is a bit too cool for me and hence, I haven't spent hours on the beach. It's OK. I'm sitting here watching the waves break on the rocks, with a zillion surfers out today. It's beautiful and still 'beachy' even if I'm not sitting down there frying at the moment.

I bought some Kauia coffee and some Kona coffee for home. Would have loved to have given THOSE as gifts to everyone but that's a bit pricey. We still have a couple kids gifts to get for friends of the boys. We'll head to Honolulu Surf tonight before dinner. Not sure where we're eating - our last night here. Feels like we should make it 'special' but most of the dinners, while great, have been hugely expensive. It's hard for me to spend $200+ on dinner - it's just not 'us'. But we'll see what we can find and enjoy it, whatever the cost.

I am dreading going back to work on Monday. I have no reason to 'dread' it, but I am. And I do. I hate that. I hate that I feel that way about the place I spend 50+ hours each week.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...