Monday, January 21, 2008

Wrapping Up

The end of a great 5 day weekend is upon me. I persuaded J. to take today off. Darn PTO policy - this is not a holiday per his job. He planned to work...and I persuaded him to not go in. He's been sick (he took Friday as a sick day) and he still sounds terrible. So he agreed and stayed home. And we didn't do a thing today - well, he did a zillion loads of laundry and I took a nap. And we went to the grocery store together, which is always a treat. Why is it so much more fun to shop when you have company?

B.'s birthday is day after tomorrow. I have two cakes planned 'cuz I want to try something new and he may not like my first choice - a blackberry cake with cream cheese frosting. I got a chocolate cake mix as a backup 'cuz you can't go wrong with chocolate. He already has his present - a new guitar that we bought on sale in December. He'll get some $$, probably, which is what he most prefers. Then he can spend it on what he wants.

B., J. and H. are heading down to Hollywood this weekend for a college open house. I'm not going to write much about it except to say that it seems to be a very good school. And since the website doesn't mention how much it is, I can only assume we can't afford it....but we'll see. It's a school designed for people who want to have a career in the music industry. It's well known and has been around for decades. It makes sense to me - spend the money for an education that gets him training and exposure in the industry he wants to work in. Versus sending him to a 4 year traditional college where he'll end up with a Bachelor's degree that won't relate to what he wants to do for a living. So we will see. They will have a guys road trip and return with tons of information. And then we'll see where we end up. Still lobbying for B. to spend a year or two at a community college (I happen to know a great one!) to get some general ed out of the way - get a 2 year degree. Then, he can go to the music school and finish there. If he ends up making a living, great. If he needs something to fall back on, he can get his teaching credential with a couple more years of school.

Tomorrow, it's back to work. Busy as usual. Thankfully, we have two Mondays off in February and I'm hoping to turn those into 4 day weekends with a Friday off. And we leave for Hawaii in only 9 weeks. I'm excited and yet sort of dreading it. The 'getting ready' for vacation - both at home and at work is mind-boggling. I hope I'm up for it.

Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...