Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy B Day

In honor of my son's 17th birthday, I got a speeding ticket. On the main street near our house.

You know that feeling you get when you see a cop and he pulls out behind you and your heart sinks and your gut lurches? I had none of that. He pulled out behind me and I didn't think twice about it - I was behind a semi at the time (that had just pulled out from the cardboard box factory near our house) and wasn't going that fast. I thought. So when he pulled out behind me and waited for me to react, I didn't, I guess. So he pulled me over. Said I was doing 55 in a 40. Not sure that I was but can't say that I wasn't. I was (admittedly) distracted and anxious to return to the office after a meeting at our county office of ed went way longer than anticipated. I also didn't have proof of insurance for the current year - I had the notice that expired in August, 2007, but hadn't put the 'renewal' notice for current year in the car. He didn't cite me for that but did cite me for speeding. I didn't argue because I honestly have no idea how fast I was or wasn't going.

I know there's a 'code' I can use to prove it's a speed trap - that requires requesting the last traffic flow survey and showing up in court. It's do-able. But I'm not going to take the time for it. Not worried about it. (If any of my readers know where to find the info and how/what to do, let me know. I had a co-worker a long time ago who never paid a speeding ticket, ever, on a city street. I'm not in touch with them anymore so don't recall the specifics of what they did. If it's out there and someone knows about it, let me know).

The ticket was worth it 'cuz I texted B. to advise him to be careful on that street on his way home from school. When I talked to him after school, he said 'how fast were you going?'. And when I told him he said 'wow, I didn't think they'd cite you for 15 miles over the limit'. Yes, son, they will. So now he knows and will slow down accordingly, hopefully. A ticket for me - the first in over 15 years - isn't that big of a deal. Traffic school will keep the point off my record. Wastes a day - but it's online now anyway. So that's fine. But a ticket for him would be VERY bad. So he's warned. By firsthand experience.

J. called me at precisely 8:40AM this morning to say 'hey, happy 17th anniversary to the minute of when you birthed our first born'. I, sadly, was not in my office so he left a voicemail - still sweet. I don't actually remember the time - guess we should pull out his birth certificate to figure it out.. I know it was not too long after 8:30AM and it had been a very, VERY long night.

Happy Birthday, B. You are a fine young man and I'm blessed to have you in my life. And this time next year, when all of the custodial accounts in our names revert to you, solely, alone, remember this: that money is for college. Period. Not a new car. Not backpacking around Europe for months. All those things sound fun and lovely and if you want them, you'll work hard AT A JOB to get them - but the money is for school. Let's not forget that.

I will, however, let YOU buy the Texas Roadhouse dinner next year.

Off to eat way too much, followed by cake at home.

Hugs to you, B.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...