Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Weather

I drove to Sacramento yesterday in thick fog. Scary, scary. Had so many moments when I had absolutely no idea where I was. No points of reference on any street, including our neighborhood, to tell me where I was in relation to our house, landmarks, etc. Merged onto the freeway just following red tail lights that were (hopefully) headed where I wanted to go. It was eerie and creeped me out. The windows were covered in ice, which of course took awhile to thaw - and I hadn't budgeted any time for 'sitting in driveway waiting for windows to defrost' in my itinerary. So I felt rushed, though driving at a snails pace. It was awful.

And the worst part was: I knew I'd be doing it again today - only this time, to Woodland, which is 20 miles past Sacto. And I was dreading it all day yesterday. The predictions said 'fog all week' and I braced myself for not one, not two, but THREE days of driving north for meetings, classes, etc. 'Cuz I have to be there tomorrow, as well. Sacto, again. I'm getting very familiar with the down town area...and stumbled across our State Capital building on a recent trip there and have to say - it is really beautiful. Truly. I didn't expect to be so 'emotional' about seeing it - but it is a beautiful building. In a beautiful area. Made me kind of understand why J. wants to visit D.C. He was born there and he wants us to see it - see all the history. I've not been particularly interested in going there - but I sort of 'get' the history and the significance of the buildings and the monuments. So maybe we'll try to do that soon.

This morning, I DID allow plenty of time - and heated up water in the electric hot pot. Let it cool a bit while I made a travel cup of coffee (haven't done that in a LONG time) and then took the hot water out to my car to pour on the windows. Only there was no frost. No moisture in the air AT ALL. Crystal clear, dry and freezing cold. With wind. But I can drive fine in windy conditions. I was so relieved. Made it to Woodland in plenty of time and it was a pretty drive. Anything would have been prettier than yesterday's gloom.

Tomorrow, who knows? For one thing, it appears the workshop I was planning to attend may have been cancelled - not sure on that and still trying to get someone at the organization hosting the class to confirm back to me. So I may just be taking tomorrow off, not driving anywhere. Which would be FANTASTIC. I am already planning to be off on Friday so I'd love to turn a 4 day weekend into a 5 day weekend! GLORIOUS!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...