Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back

Survived the 'first week back'. It was long. It was grueling. But we're through it now and onto week two of 'post Christmas break' which will be even worse. Out of the office for workshops, etc. more than in, which will result in trying to jam 40 hours worth of work into 2 days. Doesn't include meetings which will eat up another days time. Sometimes, when I think of the 'math' of these hours, it just seems impossible. And yet, somehow, I always manage to do it.

I worked only 1/2 day during the break, which I'm proud of, since it took every ounce of willpower I had to NOT work more. Isn't that sad? I packed up and schlepped home my entire desk - and then forced myself to not work. 'Cuz somewhere around the beginning of the last full week off, I just felt like if I worked during my 'time off', the job would really, truly eat me alive and I would be consumed for all eternity. That worked - except now, I am back at work and paying dearly for not moving stuff forward even during my 'off' time. Still, I am OK. I work best when the deadline is HERE and/or past. It's not perfect, but it works. So I will muddle through.

For the five people who read the blog regularly, thank you. I appreciate the inquiries re: 'when will you update again' and love that someone out there is reading this besides my husband (who is one of the five and personally, my favorite reader, though I'm biased). And the other four - (you know who you are, J., my sister K., Bug and my Aunt M.), you're tops, too.

We still have miles to go in the garage, though there was significant progress. The kitchen is looking spectacular - and H. has been a major driving force in that, having (apparently) decided that he needs more money to fund his post-Christmas purchases and literally forcing me into further culling items from counter tops, cupboards, etc. It looks really nice and I've started a list of other projects to work on, one cupboard at a time. Hey, I'm willing to supplement his allowance and I have to admit, when the kid gets moving on something, he just digs in and gets it done. Like me in that respect, I guess.

I have several resolutions I am attempting to keep: sticking to Medifast; planning and preparing meals on weekdays more regularly - not that we won't resort to Taco Bell and the regular pizza delivery when I have a Board Meeting once a month...but I want to get better at planning and using food we have on hand. Used to be really good at that when we first moved here and have gotten lax about that. Even more so since B. started driving - it's sometimes just so much easier to hand him $$ or my debit card. But I've cooked three nights this week, with leftovers a couple nights and have menu items in mind to shop for today in preparation for next week. Since dinner is really the only 'regular' meal J. and I eat, I want it to be real food that satisfies us. I arrive home absolutely famished and can barely make it through the preparation of the meal without scarfing frantically. Still, I keep trying. And J. - well, he's just doing phenomenally well. He's reached the minus 50 pound mark and I'm so proud of him. He's just so disciplined about it. Rarely cheats, even on weekends.

J. is taking the boys snowboarding again tomorrow (he is a great dad, isn't he?) and I will most likely go into my office for a bit (to get a head start on the week). We've had gloomy, stormy weather for many days in a row but today, the sun is shining and the forecast for tomorrow is more of the same. Might try to get out into the yard - we've had some storm damage out back and there are some things that need to be pruned back to presentable shape. I'm not a big fan of slogging through the mud to groom my flowerbeds, shrubs, etc. but ignoring the things that obviously need attention now will only make the Spring clean up more grueling. Our yard, while beautiful, is not low maintenance. Wish it were, but sadly, it's not. There's a price for beauty.

That's it for now. Have other posts 'brewing' in my head but this week may be a 'light posting' week also. I always think of things I want to write, for my own memory banks more than anything - but finding the time to do that is challenging. Sometimes [often times, actually], it's beyond words. Much to say about work but I won't blog any of that. These are challenging times for education in our fair state, and challenging times for me, personally. But I will muddle through. I'm stubborn. And I will make it through as will our schools and our students. 2008 is going to be a bumpy ride.

Oh, and we are getting the keyboard on my machine replaced under warranty. Dell mailed us a new one and J. can replace it himself. They asked if we had kids using the keyboard? and a series of other questions trying to understand why the keyboard is falling apart. Apparently, the Inspiron series isn't made for 'industrial' use. Whatever that means. I type fast and I apparently have a 'hard touch' particularly on the left side of the keyboard, which is where all the keys that have fallen off so far have been from. However, I note this morning that my right shift key is about to go and the arrow keys underneath it aren't far behind. So it's a good thing we're getting it replaced and at least we know that they are replaceable. The computer's not even two years old so it shouldn't be falling apart yet. It still has to get us through our next Hawaii trip (in only TWO MONTHS!!) and many more blog postings, games, etc. This computer will probably be the laptop B. takes to college with him, so it needs to last.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...