Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Taxi

B. drove us to Sacramento today to Arden Fair mall - a big mall worth the hour+ drive. To make it through this drive, we took the Acura, since that's the car B. is most comfortable driving. And, I took my iPod and a couple magazines to pass the time. I used my 'taxi technique' - iPod in my ears so I don't hear the conversations between J. and B. and eyes straight out the side window. I don't look forward - just out the side at the passing farms, vineyards, passing traffic, etc. B. is a good driver - he's careful, doesn't speed, uses his signal appropriately, looks over his shoulder before changing lanes. But it's not ME driving and therefore, I have 'issues' with someone else - in this case, a 16 year old - being in 'control' of the car. He does a good job, though - and I was all ready for the ride home when he decided to let J. drive so he (B.) could 'chill'. I admit I was secretly so relieved and the drive home was much, MUCH faster than the drive there - completely and totally related to my ability to just relax and enjoy the drive.

B. had a lot to 'prepare' for mentally on the drive home and I think he just needed a break. He is on his official 'first date' this evening with his friend S. J. took B. to her house to meet her parents and then he took her and her friend (visiting for the week) and B. to the movies - they were meeting another group of friends at the mall. S.' parents don't let her 'date' - but a group 'date' is OK - so that's what was arranged. B. seemed nervous about meeting her parents - he says he doesn't have good 'luck' with parents - and what he means by that is girls are always telling him they can't go out with him because their parents won't let them date. And for 16 year old girls, I think that sounds appropriate - but to a 16 year old boy, it's all about the 'parents'. I hope it goes well. J. said she seems very nice and seemed to obviously 'like' B. She seemed 'affectionate' towards him. I'm happy for him 'cuz the kid's been making himself crazy about how all of his friends have 'girlfriends' and he doesn't. So now, maybe he does. We'll see. We're entering new and uncharted waters (at least in our family) and I'm sure that like most things related to raising a teenager, we are in for some shocks, jolts, bumps, bruises and hair-pulling, gut wrenching issues. That's pretty much what everyday is lately - the joy of raising teens is in full swing here. Chaos reigns and we just try to come through each day as unscathed as possible.

I am enjoying Spring Break. I will go into the office for 1/2 day tomorrow to take care of a few things and be back home by lunch. Then off the remainder of the week - J. and the boys are going to Tulare to visit the cousins and I'll be piddling around home with the dogs. Might go up to Jackson for the morning on Friday.

We are expecting rain again tomorrow - ugh. It's been so pretty here the past week - the trees and flowers are in bloom, and the yard is greening up from the winter brown. Hopefully we'll just have the one day and then it will be back to lovely for the weekend.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...