Monday, April 09, 2007

Break

We are all on Spring Break together - something that has NEVER happened before. On my new job, I am paid for a certain number of days per year - I don't accrue vacation time. So normal 'school breaks' (except summer break - I work summer break) I am 'off'. Spring Break days are not technically days I'm expected to work - so I took it off. And then, so did Jim. And since I'm working for the kids' school district, they are off, too. So we have the entire week off. No plans - just hanging out. Tomorrow, we're going to the Arden Fair mall in Sacramento for the day - it's a huge mall and we've never been. So we're planning to go up mid-morning and shop a bit, grab some lunch and then head home. The kids need Spring clothes and I'm in the mood for a trip to Sephora for whatever strikes my fancy.

Easter was lovely. We went to church and then to brunch. Then we fixed a great dinner - ham, cheesy mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and chocolate cake for dessert. We had sparking cider and wine - and let the kids mix a bit of our Merlot with their cider. It was a festive dinner and we enjoyed the family time and the food.

The kids have been reasonably pleasant since we've been on break and we've been making progress on things around the house. Closets have been culled, floors have been mopped. The pool cover was unpacked, scrubbed and rinsed and put on the pool to trap some heat. Flowers have been planted, weeds pulled, etc. It's been lovely to sleep in every morning (though I have been still waking up at 5:30 but then remember that I don't have to get up so I roll over and go back to sleep).

I had lunch with a friend today and then came home and took a nap - the first nap I've had this weekend.

We've been working on taxes and J. decided to go to our old accountant to get some 'advice'. Turns out we will have to file an amended return for 2005 and file for an extension for 2006 - things related to Js dad's trust need to be modified. Our accountant will do it for us but he can't get it done before taxes are due so for the 2nd year in a row, we are filing for an extension. And this year, we will be getting a refund so it will delay our getting our $$ back. Oh well. Better to have it done and wrapped up correctly.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...