Friday, April 20, 2007

Linens

A couple weeks ago, we swapped out our winter bed linens for Spring. The down comforters were taken out of their duvet covers, fluffed and aired out and then packed up in plastic bags for the summer. I had placed a bid at the 4-H spaghetti dinner for a beautiful spring-like quilt in shades of green and purple and I won. It's lovely and beautifully made and was to be my 'Spring/Summer' bedspread. Fairly light weight and just a bit of warmth when/if needed.

Of course, mother nature had other plans and shortly after the linen swap, the weather turned freezing cold again. It is bitterly cold outside with winds that are blowing down trees and sending the crazy 'Tracy tumbleweeds' skidding across the streets. And our bed linens are now completely inadequate. I have been freezing the past couple nights.

I hadn't quite gotten around to packing up the small electric 'heater' I had during the winter - so last night, I turned it on to warm the room a bit. I thought I had used the setting where the heater would turn off the heat when it hit a certain temp - but instead, I just hit the 'heat' button. I woke up at 2AM and felt like I was in a sauna. 'Cuz I was in a sauna. It was a balmy 79 degrees in the room. I shut off the heater and turned on the fan - to cool down. Which worked until about 4AM when I woke up cold again.

My nights have been all about 'temperature' issues lately anyway, because it appears the hot flashes that I thought I'd finished with are back in full force. They wake me from a dead sleep and leave me feeling like I'm burning from the inside out. I spend the night going from comfortable to hot to cold to hot to cold - you get the picture. Sleep has become sporadic, at best. I think I'm averaging about 4 solid hours a night with 2-3 hours of 'dozing'. If I wake up after 4AM, I've been typically just getting up because if I go back to sleep (and that's a big if) and then have the alarm wake me up at 5:30AM, I'll feel horrible - I'll just be getting back into a good sleep about the time the alarm goes off - so I've just learned to not torture myself and I just get up. And even if I try to go back to sleep, I pretty much don't. I know the alarm is going off shortly (and the shortly gets shorter and shorter as the time creeps by) and I just can't get back to sleep.

I'm adjusting to this lack of sleep. Thankfully, I appear to not need as much sleep. I am rarely tired before 10PM and even waking from 3AM on fairly regularly, I'm still 'OK'. I do look forward to weekend mornings when I can just sleep in as long as I want - so on those mornings, when I wake up before 5, I do just go back to sleep and sleep until whenever. Heaven.

So it's Friday - and I get to sleep in tomorrow. So I'm heading up to bed shortly.

Sleep well.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...