Friday, April 13, 2007

Seizing

I went to Jackson today for a little play on the slots. Took my usual budget and returned +100 so that's a good day. Of course, there were moments when I was up more than that so I could beat myself up for not 'stopping' even more ahead. But I won't. I go up fully intending to lose what I've budgeted to lose and frequently return even and sometimes, like today, return a bit ahead. It was a beautiful drive - the wildflowers are in full bloom and the hills are still green - so pretty. And they opened up a new road that by my estimation, saved about 20 minutes of the drive so that's cool, too. Had some play time, ate lunch on my player's points and headed home.

Had a message from N. at my old job this morning and tried to call her a couple times. Finally reached her this evening and we chatted and chatted. I miss her and we just pick up where we left off. Wedding plans, latest frustrations at our respective jobs, etc. I'm so blessed to know her and she's just so much fun -

So she wanted me to meet her for dinner - spur of the moment. I'm not good at 'unplanned' things - just not like me to drop everything and do something on a moment's notice. I'm in my late 40's now and I've never been that good at seizing the moment - but I did. I quickly fed the dogs, took them out, kenneled them and headed over the hill. We met at Los Vaqueros Grill in Livermore and had dinner. And banana daiquiris. Just one combined with a lot of food and chips...so no worries. The company was fun, the dinner was good (except for when I bit into a huge chunk of ginger thinking it was pineapple and almost died from the 'spice' of it). Had pulled pork tacos with pineapple chutney - delicious and the banana daiquiri was the perfect accompaniment. N. is working hard on her wedding plans and the 'big' day is only 6 months away. Time flies.

I wish I got to see her more often. She keeps me young. She's got a good head on her shoulders and a sweet heart. She's just such a good friend and I never would have imagined that we would be so close. We just love to laugh and agree that's what we miss most - neither of us is laughing at our jobs as much these days without the other. So we'll have to try to keep in touch via phone and the occasional get together so we can laugh more.

It was fun. I'm stuffed and heading to bed shortly. The dogs are missing the kids. They are mopey and whiney and not too sure why the house is so quiet. I sort of miss the kids (and J. of couse), too, but I don't mind the quiet. It's a nice change from the typical chaos.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...