Monday, April 30, 2007

EMail

I spent my Monday morning as I have pretty much every Monday morning since starting the new job - attempting to appease the MS Outlook Czar(s) who require me to keep my email files to a certain limit.

Failure to adhere to their standards results in all of my 'sent' emails failing to 'send'. And all my incoming emails being bounced back to the sender with a note stating that the 'recipient has exceeded their mailbox limit'. A productive first hour spent sending various emails to followup or initiate actions remained in my 'Out' box for an hour - which I didn't realize until I noticed the 'count' in my 'out' file wasn't changing. Ever.

I move things to folders as quickly as I can. I archive things that are over 90 days old. But no matter how hard I try, I can't keep up. It's even worse on weekends because when I log in through the Internet access, I can't move things into my 'private' folders. So time on weekends that would easily be available to do some filing/sorting/culling isn't utilized because I can't get to my private folders. The only alternative (well, I could go into the office on the weekend - and it's certainly do-able since my office is 4 minutes away but no, I'm not going to do that) is to use a flash drive that has my folders on it and move the items from my mailbox onto the drive - and then back into the folders on my work PC when I get there. Seems as much work as what I'm doing which is spending a chunk of every Monday (at least) moving emails. Next step is to write our county office and plead for additional space. I hear they are pretty stingy about it - it's how they limit folks from eating up server/system space because they're too lazy to move their emails into folders.

As I learned so many things from my old boss, I have now created a file called 'email clean up' - I just move a mass transfer of emails into that folder and there they sit.

So if I look for an email I swear I've seen and can't find, I now have to look in yet another folder to try to find it. Makes me crazy. CRAZY.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...