Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day One

No, I won't be doing a count of days.  It's just a point of reference.

I awoke at 5AM and purposefully tossed the covers off.  Waited for the chill to set in so I could snuggle back in them and relish falling back to sleep.  Then had weird dreams until 8:45.  Very Freudian.  I won't tell you much about them except to say they involved being invited to a ball (and I got my dress at Sears), going into a building with dozens of stories, where everything looked exactly the same and there were dozens of doors - and I had no idea which 'bank' I was supposed to go into. None of the doors were numbered so I couldn't find the room I was invited into.  And then a guy was there with a miniature horse in a skinny crate...I felt so bad for the horse.  See? Told you they were weird.

I heard B. talking to his dad before I saw him - and then the huge hug came - which felt awesome. Though maybe not as 'hard' a hug as usual, 'cuz we saw each other seven weeks ago?  Still, it was great.  He looks well...and happy...and incredibly physically fit.

The day passed with errands - J. and I made trips to Costco and Winco to stock up for the week. Bought a standing rib roast from Costco for Christmas dinner - one expensive piece of meat! But it will be delicious.  B. went for a six mile run while we were out running our errands.  I texted him to ask if he wanted me to make fudge and he replied 'sure, if you want and I'll have one or two pieces'.  So I didn't get supplies to make fudge 'cuz I don't want to buy things that are hard for him to resist.  No eggnog (yet).

I made spaghetti for dinner.  Cooked six pounds of ground beef and made a huge pot of sauce.  We froze half.  Had two packages of meat to freeze for later dishes (tacos, sloppy joe's).  Leftovers for tomorrow night.  Menus are planned for the week so that's good.

I've decided to make banana and chocolate cream pies with meringue topping (instead of whipped cream) for Christmas dessert.  Hope I can pull it off.

H. is taking a friend to SFO tomorrow at 5:30AM.  The friend is moving out of state to live with his grandmother. Poor H. - another friend moving.

Tomorrow, we have no plans but hanging out here.  I have plenty of Christmas stuff to do.  Traffic today was horrible so I'm glad I don't have any reason to go out.  Maybe to Starbucks to get drinks 'cuz I've got quite a few free drinks on my card and I don't want to let them go to waste.

I missed seeing it ('cuz I went to bed before B. arrived home) but apparently Chloe was so wildly excited to see him, she went nuts.  Wish we'd filmed it for YouTube.  Next time!

J. has church in the morning so I'll spend the morning tidying up the office.

Oh, B. isn't a big fan of the new floors.  He says they look nice but they aren't cushy and warm.  He's right about that.  They are cold and hard on cold winter mornings.  But they are also much, much easier to keep reasonably clean.  Way less frustrating than carpeting.

Lights out time around here.  Made it until after 10.  Definitely holiday schedule.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...