Friday, December 19, 2014

Um, Something's Missing

Shortly after publishing my last post, I dutifully headed to the shower.  I turned it on to let it warm up. The downstairs shower is closest to the water heater - only steps away - and it usually heats up quickly. I also usually will turn on the hot faucet in the sink to run simultaneously - and when it feels hot, I know the shower is also ready.

This morning, after letting both run for a few minutes, it became pretty clear that the little bit of warmish water that had exited the sink and shower was the last of any warmish water we had.  There was no hot water.

We had a new one installed earlier this week - and then the work failed the city inspector - so the plumber guy had to come out again.  He did yesterday, made the change needed (which is a code violation and he should have installed it up to code without being asked to come back.  I'd be really upset about this except the city inspector pointed out that this particular code violation exists throughout our garage. Any type of anything that enters the ceiling should have a protection ring installed that won't let fire go up through a hole in the drywall into the upstairs rooms.  None of the various things installed in the ceiling of our garage have this - and haven't since we moved in 14 years ago).  Stupid builder cutting corners.  Though it makes you wonder how the garage passed the inspections as the house was being built?  Anyway - the water heater now has the correct part - and I've added 'fix all those issues in the garage' to the long list of things the house needs to be done.  

When the plumber guy came out to finish the job he didn't finish the first time, he made the repair - and then left the water heater unlit.  J. didn't notice yesterday 'cuz he didn't do many things that required him to run hot water.

I was the lucky one who discovered it - as I'm trying to get to work.  So like a pioneer, I heated water (in an electric kettle vs. a pot on the stove.  It's modern day pioneer style, I guess) and washed my hair in the kitchen sink.  Then I heated another pot of water and filled up the sink in the downstairs bathroom and used soap, water and a washcloth to get myself clean.  Not as 'awakening' as a shower, but it got the job done.

Even up at 4, I was still at work just before 8 - with gifts in hand.  A fun morning of passing out surprises to people; treating them to Starbucks; getting a few little things wrapped up.  We had a brunch birthday party for the people in our office who celebrate birthdays over the break.  A quick trip to a school site with a friend for lunch and then the afternoon flew by.  Before I knew it, we were heading to the offsite party - and it was also fun.

J. is en-route to Oakland to pick up B. but I am fading fast and will have to enjoy my first hug from him in the morning.  No way I can make it until 11PMish - two more hours.  My eyes are at half mast and I am so ready for bed.

Tomorrow, we go out in search of prime rib for Christmas dinner and procure other food items to get us through the first week of the break.

Looking forward to a couple weeks of down time!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...