Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tape Over

This cracks me up....not because it's at all funny, but because I've been there.

NASA taped over the original moon landing.....they have 'restored' a video of the event by using outside sources to secure the video. So they have 'something' but not the original event on tape.

I can relate.

I was a Catholic when J. and I met. And one of my most prized possessions was a VCR tape of the visit the Pope (sorry - I don't know which Pope and I'm too lazy to look it up right now - it was in the mid-80's). I actually had the opportunity to go to the mass in San Francisco when he visited here - but I was a new Catholic and sort of said 'well, thanks - but I'll just go the next time he comes'. Yes, I gave up the chance to go to mass being given by THE Pope. I was naive. And brainwashed...sort of. Anyway, I passed up the chance to attend but I taped the event. I carefully labeled the tape 'Pope [insert Pope's name here] Visit' and kept it with my other tapes.

Fast forward to moving in with my future husband - I know, you're gasping at the thought thinking 'what good Catholic girl would live in sin before marriage' - I did.....though I was moving toward the 'lapsed Catholic'.

He used my Pope tape to tape something. Probably golf. I don't really remember what was taped over it. But I know that I was really upset about it. We had just had a discussion (issue) about how 'if tapes were labeled, we'd know what we have and wouldn't tape over them' - I think that conversation centered around him taping over a soap opera or something. But then, he went and grabbed another tape - a clearly labeled 'The Pope' tape - and taped over it. Oh, the discussions that ensued. 'What good does it do for me to try to label things if you're not going to pay any attention anyway? It was THE POPE, for crying out loud!' or 'you get on me about labeling things. And then YOU REACH INTO THE STACK OF TAPES, PULL OUT A CLEARLY LABELED TAPE AND USE IT. What is wrong with you?' It was a 'bad' day or two in our happy home.

It's one of our family legends. So tonight, J. turned to me and said 'hey, honey, NASA pulled a J. - they taped over the first walk on the moon. Like when I taped over The Pope'.

And close to 20 years later, it's funny. Sort of. Though it still sort of bugs me.....slightly. Thankfully, my loyalty to the Catholic Church went out the window shortly after the Pope's visit...so it's less significant than it was at the time.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...