Monday, May 26, 2008

Loot

J. took H. to our mall for a shopping expedition.

H. returned with a pair of bright PURPLE shoes - tennis shoes. Purple with black laces. And two new t-shirts, also with purple in them. J. said 'purple is the new black'. Uh, OK. H. used his gift card for the shoes, suspecting that I might not be so willing to consider those shoes we would pay for. I actually don't care who pays for them as long as they get worn. I'll see how it goes this week - if he wears them. He thinks he's confident enough to ignore comments - and I guess it's possible that they are really cool shoes and friends will be envious.

But it's also possible he's going to get a couple comments and they'll be retired in to the back of the closet - in which case H. will have to pay for the shoes. If he wears them daily as one of his two pairs of shoes, fine, and we'll buy. But if he stops wearing them before they're worn out, they're on him. That's the rule.

He doesn't like the rule - he doesn't like that I monitor and 'keep track' of expenditures and if the usage doesn't justify the expense, it's on him. I've had to do this because HE WILL BUY PURPLE SHOES and then not wear them. He will think he's going to wear them a lot - and we'll see.

The odds are pretty good it'll be OK because there's only five days left of school - and then he'll wear them over the summer. And by the time school starts again in mid-August, it'll be time for new shoes again anyway - he wears them out pretty quickly.

OH, and BIG NEWS FLASH! H. is officially taller than B. It's not something that B. wants to talk about, but it's the truth. H. is taller by a few inches. And he's only 15 and still growing. We noticed yesterday at the party and J. and I both mentioned it yesterday evening. B. said 'yeah, I know'. Guess it's best to leave it at that.

And while I love three day weekends (though this one wasn't, technically, since I worked Saturday and today), I don't like how I'm confused all week. I think tonight is Sunday. It's not, it's Monday. I'm off by a day in my entire 'schedule' - thinking 'oh, I still have five more days to work on [fill in the blank]'. No, I only have four days - some of which are filled up with various meetings. I plan to arrive early and stay late - or at least until they lock the gate - all week. And work next weekend. And the weekend after that. It's just that time of year. Can't be helped. Comes with the job.

I just wish I could keep the days straight after a three day weekend. It's time for 60 Minutes - but it's MONDAY not SUNDAY. Oh, I'm so confused. And, the cleaning ladies come TOMORROW since it's MONDAY, not SUNDAY.

Gotta run! Have a great week, everybody!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...