Monday, May 05, 2008

Horses

I did not watch the Kentucky Derby this year. I have no intention of ever watching horse racing again. Barbaro broke my heart and I'm never going to be the same.

And again, yesterday, a horse lost it's life because the owner had to win. I just can't handle this sport anymore. They are not born to be ridden that hard and/or to go that fast. Isn't that painfully obvious every time one breaks down? How many times does a beautiful animal have to lose it's life before someone wakes up and says 'hey, maybe we shouldn't really race them like this - it's too risky - they're legs aren't built for that kind of stress'. How long?

It upsets me every time I think about it. Yesterday, the horse broke both ankles - BOTH. And was euthanized where she fell. God bless her.

I just won't watch anymore. It's becoming 'normal' to lose horses during (or now, after) the races and it's NOT normal. It's just not.

Rest in Peace, Eight Belles.

1 comment:

DLB said...

I have never watched the Kentucky Derby before but for some reason we watched part of the "pre-game show." They introduced all the horses and talked about the history. I was casually routing for Eight Belles because I felt it was so unfair that so few fillies had won or even been in the Derby.

We went outside to work and didn't watch the race, but on a break I checked the results online and wished I hadn't. I just felt sick over it.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...