Friday, May 16, 2008

Fed Ex

Arrived home this afternoon to find a Fed Ex delivery envelope addressed to B. I was pretty sure I knew what it was before he opened it - it was information from the Marine Corps. I told him as he opened the envelope 'just so you know, you've been getting letters from every branch of the armed forces of this country and I've been tossing them in the recycle bin. I didn't toss this one because I wasn't positive that's what it was and because it was delivered via overnight delivery. But, I am tossing any and all solicitations you receive related to joining the military'.

He replied 'I'm just exploring all my options, Mom. They can help pay for college.' I said 'WE'LL pay for college. We'll figure it out. You are not going to enlist in the armed forces when we are in a war that we never should have started with no end in sight. It's just not going to happen'. He handed me the packet and asked me to keep it for him. Which I will. Sort of. I'll stash it away somewhere and have conveniently forgotten where when/if he ever inquires about it again. While I add 'pray that B. doesn't join the military' to my list of nightly prayers.

It has turned from lovely, sunny, mild days to freakishly hot in just a day or two. J. put the pool cover on last weekend and in the past 6 days, the pool has heated up from 70 degrees to 84 degrees. Now THAT is my kind of pool water temp. I hope to head outside in the morning and do a bunch of yard work, get all hot and sweaty and then JUMP IN. Sounds great.

Most definitely working this weekend. Tons, TONS to do and my week next week is includes a day out of the office for a class and an attempt to take next Friday off for a 4 day weekend. We'll see. It's a long shot but I'm going to try.

We have all been sick all week. B. and I were home sick on Monday. H. and J. were home sick on Tuesday. B. was home sick Weds. & Thurs. and I forced him to go to the doctor yesterday. Double ear infection and possible mono. It's doubtful, but when I described to Dr. V (who I just LOVE, by the way - absolutely ADORE him - he's just got the nicest personality) how B. has been coming home for weeks and taking a two to three hour nap every afternoon, he said 'hmmm, do you mind if we test him for mono as a precaution?'. I said 'no problem, please do'. I doubt it will be positive but think it's worth considering. He gave us antibiotics to help the ears. B. went to school today but still doesn't feel great. None of us do, really. J. sounds like Barry White - which sounds lovely for about an hour and beyond that, just makes you feel like you're living with a stranger. He blew his nose today and I've NEVER heard him blow his nose so 'noisily', ever. In twenty years. So whatever this 'bug' is, it's nasty and it's working it's way through my entire universe. Hopefully, we're all on the mend now. I feel 'better' though not great - headachy for days, achy, sore throat, etc.

On a fun note, Last Day of Work came out with Virtual VIllagers 3 this week so that has taken up some time attempting to get my new village to survive. So far, I'm up to 12 villagers. Food is running low at the moment and I don't have enough tech points to get to the next 'level' in food production. So may be starting over sometime this weekend. Hope not.

J. is watching 'talking heads' on TV and they are about to REPEAT a diatribe I had to listen to last night. I drew the line. He is now fast forwarding past it. Thank goodness for our PVR on Dish Network. I couldn't handle re-listening and re-watching the spectacle we endured last night.

Signing off for now to go 'lose' the Marine Corp info.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...