Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tule

After days of the clearest, bright (though very cold) mornings, this morning dawned with Tule fog. Of course! on the day I have to drive to the County Office of Ed for an 8:30 meeting.
  1. Tule fog /ˈtuːliː/ is a thick ground fog that settles in the San Joaquin Valley and Sacramento Valley areas of California's Great Central Valley. Tule fog forms from late fall through early spring (California's rainy season) after the first significant rainfall.
I was up very early today and in my office just after 6:30AM and the 1.7 mile drive from our house to my office in the pitch black fog was the hardest.  I couldn't see the road; couldn't see parked cars on the side; prayed everyone was using headlights; prayed walkers and runners were wearing something reflective and/or lights to be sure they could be seen.  It was a scary 4 minutes and it made me so nervous.  Luckily, I left the office for my meeting after the sun was 'up' (not visible but at least it was light outside) so the fog wasn't as hard to navigate.  Still a little stressful but at least it wasn't as hard as it was in the pitch black.

Thankfully, fog doesn't happen too often and it usually burns off by noon.  Today, it's been gray and gloomy the entire day - and cold.  

Work was great today - we're getting back in the groove after the Winter Break.  So much to do! Feels good to feel some momentum building and there's some real energy in the air.  It's still hard for all of us to be using alarm clocks to wake up but we're getting back into our 'routine'.  

H. posted on Facebook that he is loving going dirt bike riding and he wants his own bike.  I've learned a thing or two about your kid's posts on Facebook - DO NOT POST COMMENTS.  If he says something on Facebook that I want to talk to him about, I will usually send a message.  If I comment, he will usually delete the post or call me to say 'delete what you just said'.  So I just private message him on Facebook and and say 'no, you will not have a dirt bike' and 'it will be a good incentive for you: find a good job [resisting the urge to add the words 'and keep' after find]; move out and buy a bike and a trailer and a nice truck to tow it with - on your own.  Your money'.  He wrote back and said 'yeah, you're right'.  

Yes, I am.  I told him he got away with the tattoo by the skin of his teeth but absolutely no dirt bikes allowed.  Move out.  Then you can get one. 

Mean Mom.  That's me.  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...