Friday, January 16, 2015

Snakes

We have pigeons living/nesting/mating and assorted other activities under the solar panels on our roof.  Not noticeable except for the constant cooing (is that what pigeons do?  I don't know the technical term for it - I call it 'pigeons getting it on on our roof'.  Bow-chick-a-bow-wow.  Constantly. Like rabbits).

J. has contacted multiple vendors purporting to be skilled in dealing with pigeons.  We're finding their level of expertise is a pretty broad range of skills.  I'm not really confident (nor is J.) that anyone will effectively resolve the issue long-term and I'm not proposing eradicating them in any way that will harm them.  I want them to go do their business (all their businesses) somewhere else and never return but don't feel compelled to end their existence.

Their nests are constantly raided by the blue jays that live in our trees and we have a variety of egg splats on our patio cover.  It's not easy to get gross egg goo off a patio cover.

Should be easy to scare them away.  Then clean up as much as possible under the panels.  Then put something up to prevent them from going back under the panels again.

J. took to Facebook this morning and one suggestion was 'throw a bunch of rubber snakes up there and they will leave and not come back'.

So I Googled 'rubber snakes' and holy cow!  There's a HUGE variety - and they are not inexpensive. Do we have to get snakes the pigeons in our area will recognize as 'scary'?  If we get the brightly colored fake snakes from all over the world (which are $15-20 each and definitely stick out with all the crazy colors and patterns), will they be afraid?  Or will the $3.99 each coiled what looks to be common garter snake work?  Are pigeons smart enough to know what kind of snakes stand a chance of traversing across the ground, up the side of a two story house and slithering across shingle roof? Probably not 'cuz if it works, the pigeons will be too dumb to notice the snake never moves and has stayed their virtually forever.

So this weekend's activities will include 'shopping for snakes'.  I need a few other things at Target so we'll check out the toy department.

Three day weekend approaching!  Though I got my mojo back today and am now so motivated to work on things at my office, I'm tempted to work tomorrow just to keep the momentum going.  I doubt I will work tomorrow - but Monday for a few hours could happen.

Today was day 4 of dense fog - yesterday was especially bad and I drove to Sacramento for a workshop in the afternoon with my boss.  He offered to drive but being a passenger with him driving would be far harder on me than driving in fog.  Thankfully, it wasn't so dense you couldn't see cars in front or behind you - but it was thick enough that you couldn't see any landmarks or landscapes around you - leaving me feeling disoriented.

The workshop was good; the drive to/from was enjoyable AND we had a nice lunch at a favorite Chinese place in Stockton on the way up.  Nice day and we transacted a ton of stuff during the drive -which is why I think I'm now ready to jump in and tackle some really huge projects.  Amazing how just talking things through leads to clarity.

I didn't spend a dime of my weekly allowance this week - and combined with what I've saved before from lunch money plus a little from savings (a really little), I am heading to Jackson on Sunday for a quick visit.  My player status changed as a result of my playing the last six months - you win, then you play - so I can't wait to get 'upgraded'.  I can visit the High Roller lounge - where I won't be able to afford to actually play but I can see what it's like.  I know it's stupid.  But it amuses me.

It's my 'golf' and my husband is so sweet to indulge me.

Three days of sleeping in - and shopping - and gambling.  What's not to love about these weekend plans?


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...