Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Anniversary

10 years ago today, I started this blog.  The kids were 14 and 12.  We'd lived in this house 4 years. I started it to just have a place to chronicle the everyday ordinary of my life - no other reason than basically a diary that happened to be online.

I wanted to end every post with the lyrics from a favorite song.  I gave that up pretty quickly...not that there weren't plenty of lyrics that moved me but the effort required to try to find the lyrics that reflected the mood became too onerous for me.  So I stopped doing that.

I often wish the blog was more - though more what?  I have no idea.  I write because decades from now (hopefully), I will be able to read it and remember things that I might otherwise forget.  In my blogging life, the only thing I will ever regret is that I didn't start way sooner - and/or had just written a handwritten journal that I could then transfer online - 'cuz I wish I had retained more of the memories from when the kids were little.

Oh well.  Their littleness went relatively easily vs. their grown-ness so the blog serves as a good outlet to chronicle the wild adventures of getting two boys to manhood.  I'm grateful to have it and I like going back and re-reading things.  Everything is a stage in their young lives so it's nice to have the various stages and events written down.

Lately, I feel like the blog is uber boring and then I remind myself 'who cares'?  There are a small handful of people who read regularly (yeah! all of you!!) and they are people who choose to keep in touch and appreciate knowing how things are going at Casa Majah.  The ordinary life of four people unfolding on these pages day after day -

There's likely 10-ish years of me working...I often wish I could write more about that 'cuz like most jobs, there's tons of entertainment value in the shenanigans grown adults are up to in any work environment.  Someday, when I don't work there....but for now, I bite my tongue a lot.  A LOT!  10 years of work; vacations; house projects; health stuff; getting son #2 out of the nest and on his own; ensuring son #1 is truly on his own when the US Government is no longer covering his expenses (though he may be a career Army person - I can totally see that happening); me eventually retiring.

The story will continue - and it will all continue to be chronicled here. Simplistically, sporadically...but chronicled no matter what.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Majah!

-J

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. I love reading your blog. I even have an app for it on my phone.

DB

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...