Wednesday, January 29, 2014

SOTU

I had no idea what that acronym stood for when I saw it on Facebook a few days ago - an acquaintance posting that she couldn't wait for SOTU.  ??.  Had no idea.  I didn't watch most of it and I have no excuse except to say that I'm just sick of 'the divide'.  So I avoid watching anything political 'cuz where we are now re: our 'party affiliations' and alignments makes me sick.  Physically sick.

I think President Obama is doing an admirable job but he won't ever get any credit for it.

And I had lunch Tuesday with someone in the health insurance industry who bad mouths the Affordable Healthcare Act constantly.  This same person stood in a room a few years back and said vehemently 'there is no way this will ever be enacted - mark my words - no way'.

She was wrong.  And I'm one Democrat who thinks affordable healthcare for ALL is something to smile about.

Sure, as an 'employer', there's a lot to it that adjusts the way we do things regarding health benefits.  But oh well.  Small price to pay (as an employer) to ensure everyone has access. And I'm a firm believer in supply and demand economics and the costs of healthcare are and will continue to come down.  Give it time.  Five years from now, we'll all be scratching our heads trying to remember what all the fuss was about.

Well, some of you will - I'll probably be too old to remember much of anything by that point.

Yesterday was a drama filled day at work and it's one of those post-drama mornings where I'd like to just enter my building,  go into my office, close the door and be left alone to get the massive amount of stuff done that I couldn't work on 'cuz I was dealing with all the drama. More drama will ensue today as I address the drama with those that need addressing and quite possibly, one or two folks or going to see a side of Majah that doesn't come out often.

I thought today was my friend J.'s birthday 'cuz I thought Monday was the 28th - so I've gained an entire day!  And tomorrow is her birthday - so this will be slightly early greetings for her on her pre-special day!

My cousin S. and I are like ships passing in the night and I miss hearing from her...and then secretly pray there isn't family drama ensuing that is altering our relationship 'cuz that would truly be my tipping point.  She's one of my best friends and not having her to commiserate with about things great and small would do me in.  So there.  (Hi, S!).

I did the annual 'sketch out our taxes' over the past couple evenings - which of course (as expected) made me wish we hadn't/weren't spending money on the Europe trip.  Or the Mexico trip.  Or eating.  Or keeping warm.  But then my wonderful husband said he'd be fine with making a retirement savings withdrawal this year to pay the taxes - it truly has been an 'extraordinary' year with severance, social security, unemployment and pension income.  All blessings for sure but eee gads the havoc unleashed on our tax bill is super-dee-duper extraordinary.

And I'm getting the first ongoing raise at work we've had in a very long time and am now officially resigned to turning over that raise to the IRS monthly vs. seeing any increase in take home pay 'cuz I'd rather just bite the bullet now vs. coming up with money next year. No more annual bonuses to take the edge off tax time - just good ol' Majah working her heart out to pay the tax man.

And (ta da!) neither of our children are considered dependents anymore - since H. isn't in school full time, us supporting him doesn't 'count' anymore - so that helped his tax situation considerably while we took a hit.

No space station this morning....my neck is thankful for the break.  It's Wednesday and it feels like it should be Friday and then I think 'you have no weekends off between now and Europe anyway so what difference does what day of the week it is make'?  It's all work, all the time for the next month -

I'm really starting to enjoy my new boss - he's a good guy.  He's learning and he's 'new' but he's got a good head on his shoulders and we are starting to realize we think alike about most things - which is helpful.  We always remind each other 'if we're not pissing each other off now and then, one of us isn't doing their job' 'cuz that's the nature of Sups vs. CBO.  We're getting to know each other in his new role (he was a peer for a long time) and it's starting to 'gel' pretty well and I'm so relieved about that...


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...