Sunday, January 19, 2014

Little House

My domestic goddess is in full swing.....I feel like Ma on Little House on the Prairie making the most of every resource available.

Of course, Ma didn't spend $300 at Costco yesterday on food and supplies - which then led to a reorganization of the fridge.  Realized there were cranberries in there from Thanksgiving (forgot to make the sauce) so used them to make cranberry bread.  Pretty good though H. isn't a big fan unfortunately so now J. and I have to figure out what to do with a loaf and a half of cranberry bread.

We also had a roasted chicken for dinner and instead of tossing the bones, I used them to make homemade broth - adding in celery and carrots that were a tad past their prime and simmered it for quite awhile.  Some garlic and onion powder and other spices and it's not bad. Used it this morning to make a big batch of quinoa which I will eat all week for lunch.  It's not bad.  I think I might like brown rice more but that may be just 'cuz I'm more 'used to' brown rice.  Qinoa isn't bad - it's just different.

Have a quart of broth in a mason jar for later this week.

I watched the first season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix so add another series I am completely hooked on to the long list.  Love the iPad which makes it possible to watch in any room - so even while chopping and mixing and cooking, I still was able to watch.

I've been on the phone off and on with B. this morning as he shops for his kitchen needs.  He also asked for advice in preparing Talapia - guess he's trying a new eating regime.  Good thing he phoned 'cuz he was buying baking dishes and I reminded him to get pot holders, a couple dish towels, a dish cloth, some 409 for cleaning the counters and dish soap for washing dishes.

Wishing I was there to help with the 'set up' of what is essentially a first apartment. Reminding him that all the stuff he's buying is going to have to be packed up and schlepped with him forever - though I secretly think 'I have a feeling most will be left behind but that's OK.  We're doing our part for the next soldier living in that kitchen'.

I don't tell B. that 'cuz if he thinks he won't someday be schlepping that stuff, he will go crazy.  We are helping with $ to set up the kitchen (like we did for H. - all of that stuff is in plastic Costco bins in our garage awaiting H.'s move to his own place someday).

And on that note, I want to congratulate H. 'cuz the grocer he works for did a round of layoffs and H. wasn't one of them.  And then his supervisor let him know there would be another round of layoffs shortly and he didn't want H. to worry 'cuz that wouldn't be him, either. They have noticed his hard, hard work at getting up to standard in the cold warehouse and he is reassured that he's 'safe' for now.

He posted on Facebook that he looks forward to a $150K Mercedes in his future.  Yeah, right. I resisted and did not post back 'how about you get your own apartment and pay for your own room and board before you buy a ridiculously expensive car that you can't afford to insure or maintain?'  I sure wanted to post that - but I didn't.  His car needs $1K in maintenance at the moment - which he does not have - so hello to another loan from the parentals.

A friend at work mentioned she and her hubby were loaning to their daughter and she said 'we know we will never get it back'.  She said 'you are the same with your kids, right?'  I said 'no, we're not.  A loan is a loan.  We have a spreadsheet and the only 'gift' to loans is we don't charge interest.  (B.'s truck loan has interest 'cuz it's a car).  Otherwise, we will happily assist in fronting funds as needed - but it is not a gift.  Repayment required.

J. is home from church and eating lunch - we're heading to Winco for more stocking up - primarily for H. who requires a steady supply of frozen waffles and french bread pizzas.

Tomorrow is a holiday but I plan to go in for a chunk of the day.  Tuesday is construction meetings and board meeting day so LONG....

Went to Sacto on Friday and enjoyed hearing the first good news education finance in our state has had in a really long time - there will actually be a huge improvement next year and that's the first time as a CBO I've heard 'new money'.  So yeah!

And..finally.  There is a little cottage for sale in Walnut Grove (no joke!  Same name as the town on the Little House show) - a small, delta town about an hour north.  It is the cutest little place and I think it would be an amazing getaway place.  I really want to buy it - seriously.  I want to cash in some retirement savings and make them a cash offer - and enjoy a peaceful 'off the grid' type place to retreat to on the weekends.  J. is less enthused but we may drive up there tomorrow for a looksie.  A 'little house' like those I dream about - in a really cute little river/delta town.  It sounds perfect and it's something we could totally 'do'.  Really, we could.

I also secretly think that having a place like that in our arsenal of places provides me more job opportunities - I could expand my search further north knowing I have a place to stay that's an hour closer to potential future employment than here.  Not that I'm leaving my job but you never know.  I keep my options open -

OK - time to do a Winco shop now.  Less expensive than yesterday's stock up (laundry supplies cost a fortune!) and will ensure H. is fed this week.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...