Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Shake it Up

The last time I changed the look of the blog was a Hawaii vacation many moons ago.

I was just thinking this morning....OK....wait.....

Heading to the County Office of Ed this morning and arrived at 'my' Starbucks.  Witnessed an incredibly long line in the drive through - but this is THE fastest SB drive through ever so I didn't have a qualm in the world with entering the line.  5 minutes turned to 7 turned to 10....the line was incredibly slow today.  I wasn't worried and spent idle time finally (after 5.5 years of owning my car and driving it most days) programming the 'quick dial' buttons on my blue tooth phone thingy.  Still many more 'slots' to program but I can now dial home or work with one button!  I spent more time gazing at the buildings concrete walls and marveling at the 7 five gallon soy sauce buckets outside the Chinese place next to Starbucks.  That's a lot of soy sauce....

So....back to Hawaii.....I was thinking of our Hawaii trips this morning and contemplating why I truly don't enjoy Hawaii much.  Nothing to do but drive to places that are horribly expensive and do more spending of money - shopping, eating.  Beaches were nice but there weren't really that many that were easy to get to (and therefore enjoy).  Mexico is the opposite of all that.  Give the kids $20 for fish tacos and beer and they're happy as clams for a few hours.  They can walk the beach or town...get in the water or not....swim in the pool. I just love the 'freeness' of Mexico vs. Hawaii which just felt like forcing a vacation to happen 'cuz it wouldn't happen on it's own.  Hawaii is beautiful...but so is Mexico.

I think the decal of Hawaiian flowers on the car in front of me made me think of it.

I finally got to the line - resisted ordering petite vanilla scones and then caved when I finally got to the window and ordered them (thus becoming one of 'those' people who hold up the line by messing with the order when they get to the window).  A latte and iced tea to get me through a long meeting and the drive back to the office.

Tomorrow is an all day meeting to hopefully settle contracts for 13-14.  Fingers crossed.  For me, once agreement is reached starts a clock of activities which will result in me working dozens of days straight to get stuff done.  Public disclosures wait for no one.

H. has exceeded 100% productivity for multiple days and is seriously kicking butt.  He is being 'rewarded' with two weeks in a row of 40 hours!  Woo hoo!  AND he may be considered for a trainer position which is a better schedule and more money.  He is seriously good at what he's doing and I'm so happy for him.  It's so great to see him feel proud of what he's accomplished...for me, I've been especially happy to see him work through anxiety and self doubt and come out at the other end having overcome obstacles and do what needs doing!

Two days of the four day week done - I am beat...time for sleep.  Morning will be early 'cuz I brought home a couple 'must do' things for tomorrow and I'm too tired to even consider crunching numbers.  Sleep and number crunching can happen in the early morning accompanied by coffee.

Tomorrow is B.'s 23rd birthday.  I texted him (another thing I did in the drive through line) 'Happy almost birthday' and was so glad to be able to do that.  Last year, he was in Basic Training and no mention of his birthday was allowed lest he be tortured by other soldiers.  He has no official plans for his birthday - but we will send greetings via text and FB in the morning first thing!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing about Hawaii, the heat and humidity are less oppressive than Mexico. But I have to pretty much agree with the rest of your assessment.

J

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...