Sunday, January 05, 2014

Just Stuff

Just things I've thought of over the break....
  1. I took the Downton Abbey character quiz and I am Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess.  She's pretty spunky and has a quick wit so I'm pleased with that 'match' in terms of her personality.
  2. Santa brought Whoppers for our stockings.  They are best eaten by letting the chocolate melt off and then continuing the 'no chewing' approach until the delicious malt ball just dissolves....repeat until you've eaten the whole (thankfully small) box.  You will feel guilty but will rationalize it's only once a year that this happens - and then you will admonish yourself not to keep them around 'cuz you can't resist.
  3. We made a traditional New Years Southern dinner - Hoppin John, collard greens and corn bread (from scratch!).  Delicious!  Black eyed peas are supposedly to bring prosperity in the New Year.  
  4. I put makeup on yesterday for the first time in two weeks.  Every time I walked by a mirror, I was surprised at the person looking back at me.  It's amazing what a little powder, eye shadow and mascara can do for a face!
  5. We keep finding presents we forgot to wrap under the tree.  First, the Jack Black shave kits I bought for the boys in October.  Then a hot cocoa set we found at WalMart. Clearly, it was a mistake to not keep up on our spreadsheet list of gifts.  We will do better next year.  The boys are flexible and don't seem to mind, thank goodness.
  6. I/we've enjoyed Starbucks pretty much every day of the break (skipped just a couple, I think).  Thanks to my sons for blessing me with SB giftcards - 'cuz they are guaranteed to be used and enjoyed and shared.  Egg nog and Caramel Brulee Lattes are the current fave.  And my usual Trenta black iced tea as well.  Nothing says Winter Break like a well used Starbucks card.
  7. I've scratched off my 2nd round of scratchers and am ready to go from place to place cashing them in and procuring more.  No out of pocket funds at this point - just cashing in winners for more chances.  Hope.  It's all about hope.
  8. You've Got Mail is on again - which makes me happy.
  9. I re-watched Season 3 of Downton Abbey the last two nights in preparation for the Season 4 debut this Sunday.  It's on until 11PM and there's no way I can stay up that late on a work night - so I will tape it and watch it Monday evening.  Can't wait!!  Though I've read all the episode summaries on BBC America so I feel well prepared for the shockers that await us this year.  There are always shockers.
  10. It's been a couple days since the above items were listed...it's the night before the first day back at work.  Yeah, it sucks.  
  11. Hubby deserves Father of the Year for arising at 6:30AM yesterday to get an appointment for H. .  Glad he went - bad (BAD) sinus infection.  A different antibiotic and some cough syrup for nights so he can sleep.  Also a note for his absence at work on Friday.  He is pretty sick - poor guy.
  12. And another Father of the Year nomination for driving B. to the airport early this morning.  I got up early too - and was very grateful to have the time here alone to cry my eyes out - and get some work stuff done.
  13. We've been enjoying hot tea with honey and lemon most afternoons.  Herbal tea (caffeine free).  Warming, comforting and soothing to sore throats, stuffy heads and those seeking warmth.  I'm planning to take some teabags to work tomorrow to continue my new afternoon treat.  A pick me up as the afternoon wanes - 'cuz if it's anything like today, I will be in desperate need of a nap and (obviously while working) not taking one.
  14. H. is putting together some Hobbit Lego sets that are pretty cool.  Goes well with the Hobbit Pez dispenser set he got for Christmas.  (Another forgotten Christmas item - see # 5).  It's the Christmas that keeps on giving.
  15. B. took my spare car keys with him to Texas so here's hoping I don't misplace my keys 'cuz there will be no spare until he mails them back.  They aren't keys we can duplicate and a new one is over $300.  I'll wait for him to mail them back and be extra super careful (and hopefully less ditzy).
  16. We found a brand new bottle of Jack Daniels in the freezer.  He was going to put it in his suitcase but I think he ran out of room.
  17. He also left a great selection of beers including Stella Artois and some lagers that look delicious. A beer when I get home tomorrow after the first long day back will be very nice.  
  18. Flight Aware is neat - he was delayed departing Oakland a bit and then delayed again in Phoenix.  He had a visit with his Aunt while in Phoenix - a nice way to pass the time.  
  19. Hubby is out of town a couple nights this week visiting family in Visalia area.  I will miss him.  H. is home though working at least one of those nights.  
  20. Christmas is all packed up for the year.  We thought of going through all the lights we didn't use this year - but I hate to toss perfectly good lights.  Ultimately, I'd like to put some white lights around the patio cover outside - so maybe we'll tackle that when the weather is warmer.  
20 random things to end the break with.  Happy Monday in a few short hours.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...