Thursday, March 01, 2012

Roger, Cancel That

Re: B. going to MEPS today. He didn't. I was right. It's not as 'clear' as he thought.

I won't go into details - too voluminous and complicated for a quick evening post - I need to get to bed early tonight 'cuz multiple nights of 4-6 hours of sleep is not good (especially for someone who MUST GET UP VERY EARLY 'CUZ I HAVE A ZILLION THINGS TO DO BEFORE MEETINGS COMMENCE)....

He filled me in on everything in a long conversation - and then offered to help me make cake batter Rice Krispie treats for work tomorrow. Fun to have his help and he really did make a job I was suddenly dreading very easy and smooth. Even cleaned the kitchen table and helped me tidy up.

Then he headed to the gym.

He's experiencing many disappointments at the moment - including realizing that someone he's trusted as a mentor and friend is not being truthful in so many areas - and that's a hard lesson to learn. People can not always be trusted. I've had my guard up for some time with this individual but B. learned the hard way that when stories start to not add up over and over and over - there's always a reason. And a person spending all their energy on maintaining the falseness and the fabricated life is not someone to invest a lot of time with. I feel bad for B. - he is a good, kind-hearted young man. He feels badly about this person and their situation - and he feels compelled to help. I tried to convince him that there really isn't anything he can do - and actually, it would be in everyone's best interest for him to step back and just stay away. Permanently. This person that he thought was a friend is very confused and has a lot of 'stuff' on his own personal plate at the moment. B. has plenty of stuff in his OWN life much less taking on the problems and lies and issues his 'friend' is experiencing. Much as he wants to help, there's not much he can do - and we will never know the full 'truth' of the issues. Ever. It's hard to never know - but we won't.

That bugs me 'cuz I always want to know 'the rest of the story'. But even I - who wants to know the rest of it more than I can say - is acknowledging that it's such a murky mess of lies and stories, we will never, ever know. So just draw the line in the sand and move on. Life is too short. We can't save this person. They have to save themselves. I hope they do - but it is truly entirely up to them. And B. doesn't need to be a part of 'the rest of the story'. B. needs to start moving forward on his own story -

Good night moon. Good night. (in honor of Read Across America!)

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...