Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feast or Famine

Either plenty to say - and no time.....or nothing to say and plenty of time. Last week I had a Post-it full of post thoughts - but never got around to putting them on paper. Soon, I hope....though like most things that flit in and out of my head, they seem relevant at the time and then are lost in the myriad of daily stuff running through my mind.

Busy days bleed into each other - time passes in a nanosecond seemingly....hard to fathom some weeks where the days went.

The annual time change leaves me groggy and grumpy for a few days while I try to adjust to knowing that I'm getting up at 3 while the clock forces me to pretend it's 4. Or 4 pretending to be 5. I've been getting out of bed so 'late' (for me) the past couple days that it's been a mad rush to get out the door - which is ridiculous for my short commute. Starts my day off hectic instead of calm and purposeful and relaxed - which is why I get up at the crack of dawn. The hour or so 'alone' puttering away on my computer is my quiet for the day and I treasure it. Though sleeping longer is better for me by far.

Tonight, we had a contractor come to the house to give us an estimate on some long-awaited projects. Our corner pantry is likely coming out with a new custom cabinet built in that provides access on both of the oddly angled 'sides'. This combined with some 'sliding' shelves should greatly improve the amount of storage we have available...handy with the boys appetites demanding constant supply. Also getting estimates for three over-the-toilet cabinets as well. And lastly, he is having someone give us an estimate to add spray foam insulation to the garage ceiling. I am not sure what the $ will be - and not sure we can afford to do 'all' right now. But we've been saving for them and planning these projects for awhile so I am hopeful we can get them done soon. I really think that pantry modification will be a 'must-do' and hope we can afford the bathroom cabinets, too. And the insulation is an energy saving thing worth looking into - I'm going to look for PG&E incentives for that expense also. Maybe a rebate or a tax credit or something?

I wish we were more handy. I wish we lived near the family member(s) I know are very handy. I like the contractor and think he will do a good job - but he's using a cabinet company to build the unit, so that's a markup right there. Oh well. We'll see. Hoping we will end up pleasantly surprised like we did for the fence project and the front door project. If we get this latest set of projects done, we will be pretty 'caught up'.

I am taking tomorrow off - totally clear calendar and just felt like I needed a day away. Unclutter my mind. And possibly unclutter my home desk - while my work desk looks like the train wreck it is. I made the decision to take the day off before I learned my boss is off until next Thursday - so that led to an afternoon jammed with 'stuff' we needed to go over before we weren't going to see each other for 8 days. That only further cluttered my mind and made the day off seem futile. But I'm still taking it.

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...