Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pottermore

I am so excited - I just downloaded the entire series of Harry Potter e-books to my Kindle! I've been waiting what feels like forever for them to be available - and the entire set was under $60 - which I think is a bargain. Once again, I am enthralled and amazed at technology....in under 5 minutes, the books were transferred to my Amazon account and downloaded instantly to my Kindle. Wow.... It is a cold, stormy, blustery day and there is nothing I would love to do more than spend the day reading in bed -

Friday couldn't arrive fast enough - and we had a really fun baby shower/going away party for a co-worker who is moving to Oregon for a job in the corporate world. I considered giving him advice - because he has never worked in the corporate world before and leaving education and heading into that arena is a very, very different realm. But he will do fine. His wife is pregnant with their first child - a little boy due in July....so they will have so many life-altering events in a very short time frame. We played the typical baby shower games - including candy bars melted in diapers and you guess which bar....the really funny part of that is that earlier that morning, my boss' assistant came over and sat down sort of serious-like and said 'I need to let you know we had a little fire in our building'. As the 'risk-manager' of the district, I take that seriously, of course. She said 'we're not really sure what happened, but one of the diapers caught on fire in the microwave. It was immediately put out and there was no damage. And the fire alarms never went off'. Whew.....too funny. So instead of having six filled diapers in the game, we only had five. Hmmm...never did ask what candy bar got eliminated from the competition.

Like so many, we spent the week in Mega-Millions frenzy. Much discussion among friends and acquaintances. How you have more change of being hit by space debris than winning. But the thing is: yes, but there's a chance. And who doesn't dream of a life-altering windfall? I love thinking of the amazing things we could do for family and for charities we support. What a dream. And it's worth the money to us to have that dream weekly. It was even more fun this week because people who never, ever played joined in. Everyone can dream - and that was surely a jackpot worth dreaming about. We did not win...but oh well. On to the next big rolling jackpot!

Oh, the possibilities....

Today starts week 4 of the healthier eating. This week, I did actually have an In & Out burger - no cheese, though. And I did eat 1/2 of the fries. I resisted the cupcakes at the shower yesterday - and was so thankful that someone made homemade hummus. It was delicious! with Pita Chips, which aren't that 'great' on the flour front - but oh well. Have to adapt to the things you have. There were also great rolled turkey flatbread sandwiches - and I took the cheese off and ate one of those. Still hanging in with no dairy, no sugar, no processed foods and avoiding refined flour. It's working and I still don't feel that it's a diet. It's just the way I eat.

OH - and there was one lone thin mint cookie in the sleeve on the table when I tidied up the kitchen table one night last week. And I ate it. I chewed it very slowly and savored every bite. I did not eat more. I did not have milk.

UPDATE: shortly after drafting this post, I decided to head upstairs for a nap. FOUR HOURS LATER, I came downstairs....yikes. No errands run; no work accomplished, either here or in my office. I was pooped! It's now Sunday morning, beautiful day outside and I am heading out to work...and errands. Only four work days this week and then it's Spring Break!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...