Friday, March 23, 2012

Hellloooo Friday!

A friend and I at work greet each other with a big 'Hellllloooooooo' - said with a slightly British accent. We have no idea why we do this - but we do - and it's consistent. She has also introduced me to 'it's been a slice'....which explains/describes so many things in any given day, doesn't it? It's all about a slice of what?

I watched the movie Cousins a couple times this week (one of my absolute all time favorite movies) and when Larry (Ted Danson's character) says 'I'm trying to make a little chicken salad out of chicken shit', I can relate to that too....because doesn't that also describe many things in your average day?

It is Friday and it's been a long week so I am glad to be heading in soon and starting the last day before the weekend. Better to get it over with....

I am not sleeping at all well the past few nights - and since my caffeine consumption is greatly reduced, I do not know why I cannot get into a restful sleep. Argh!

On a fun note, J. and I are busting open the piggy bank and spending some money to do some fun things TOGETHER - just the two of us. First, we have tickets to see Mamma Mia at the Gallo Center for the Arts in Modesto in a couple weeks. And the following weekend, we are heading up to Napa for a Lobsterfest dinner at V. Sattui! AND we are going to spend the night. In Napa! Should be fun. Hopefully some really awesome wine will help me not worry about what havoc is wreaking in our home with two young men here alone. I'm not going to think about that....I'm not going to think about that....

Today is day fourteen (IN A ROW) of the following changes in my diet: no sugar; no dairy; no processed foods; limited refined flour. I haven't wanted to say anything because you can read back and see how many times I've started and failed in an attempt to lose weight....

But this time, the simple 'change' of NOT thinking/acting/saying anything about a 'diet' is what is making all the difference. By eliminating the above listed items, it immediately changes the way you eat - so that's what it is - it's a change in the way we eat. Fresh produce, fresh fruit, lean protein, nuts....those are the things I consistently eat everyday.

And it's working. After the first tortuous weekend when the carb cravings were overwhelming (but I resisted and did not eat garbage), the cravings subsided...and now, I don't want any of those things. At least not often. My hardest time is still after dinner when Girl Scout cookies and milk call to me from the kitchen (six boxes arrived the day I started our new eating approach - but the boys are polishing them off) but I find that fresh fruit - sweet and satisfying - gets me through that evening temptation.

At some point, I will want to have a meal where I eat 'anything I want'....and I will. I will do that occasionally. But for now, the thought of breaking my 'streak' keeps me from wanting crap. And honestly, the way I feel - so, so much 'better' - is enough reason to keep going. I have more energy (except for the above mentioned sleeping issues) and feel better.

It's like a 'switch' went off in my head - and I can eat anything I want. Anything. So I don't feel 'restricted' or 'managed'. I can eat anything I want - and I'm choosing to eat very healthful foods that are in the form nature intended.

Switching to that way of thinking - vs. a 'I'm on a diet and will never be able to eat yummy things again' - is working for me. And I'm not sure why it suddenly 'worked' - but it did/has/is....

Time for a second soy latte! I'm supposed to also give up caffeine - but come on....we all know that isn't going to happen.....I do make a 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular occasionally as an attempt to cut back - and I usually only have one iced tea a day now instead of two....but giving it up? No. Not likely. At least not yet.

My work phone just rang and scared the crap out of me 'cuz nothing good is on the other end of a work phone call at 6 in the morning. Thankfully, it was a wrong number!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...