Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Elephants

A quick post to break my weekend only posting mode. And a shout out and thanks to my cousin S. who emailed me this morning to tell me she enjoys reading my blog. You made my day! Week! Month!

It's just past 6AM and I am throwing caution to the wind and not rushing! No meetings today - unheard of. So a nice day of plodding through all the stuff that requires plodding.

I borrowed Like Water for Elephants from the Kindle lending library and am now rushing to read it - postponing the 3rd Hunger Games book for awhile. Everyone says Elephants is an awesome read - and I agree. But it's also making me uncomfortable. Animal cruelty makes me sad. In any form. Even in a great story. So I read it and just feel 'sick' all the time - and have to say I'm not enjoying it much. I'm about 1/2 way through and it's all I can do to keep going....I hope the ending makes the torture worth it.

B. is heading up to MEPS again Thursday. His appeal was approved....so we'll see what that means and what will happen next. He said if they offer him a Ranger contract, he's going to sign it that day. So we wait. It's never as 'easy' or 'clear' as he implies so I am sort of cautious about getting all excited about something that may not happen. On a good note, his ankle is much better and he returns to work Monday.

H. is looking and looking for a job - went to a warehouse in town and applied. Took two tests to 'qualify' for applying (actually filling out an application for employment) and then was able to apply - but still, he waits. Poor kid is scrubbing the tile grout in the family room with bleach to earn money. It's tough work but he does an hour or two a day for some pocket money.

Cleaning ladies come today! Yeah!

We started getting a delivery every other week of farm-fresh organic produce. Last night, I sauteed leeks and kale in a little butter. Season salt and garlic. It was yummy. Also steamed fresh broccoli and a pink cauliflower. Tonight we're steaming beets and turnips - from Winco, not the farm. More veggies in our diet is a good thing. Only problem is: I appear to have tossed the list of items in the farm box and there are two 'root' looking things that I have no idea what they are nor how to prepare them. I think we'll peel them, chunk them and steam them. Hard to go wrong with steam. I hope.

I spent all day yesterday feeling like it was Tuesday. After two Mondays in a row off, it was hard to accept that I was actually going to have to work a Monday. It was a long, long day.

Today should be better -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...