Saturday, April 02, 2011

Garden!

It's been a great day! I had lunch with an old friend - we were reminiscing...we've been friends since 1987! She's watched my kids grow up. She's one of those friends that you pick up right where you left off with.....like no time has passed. It was great.

I went to Smart & Final to get supplies for lasagna tomorrow - making a meal for a friend at work who lost her husband last week to pancreatic cancer. H. is good friends with the daughter in the family. We're making lasagna, salad, bread and 7-Up Pound Cake for dessert. I am looking forward to cooking - I'm going to get a head start tonight by chopping, sauteing and cooking the meat for the sauce. I can get the sauce on to simmer in the morning and then head to work for a bit. Preparing to be away for a week means working a bit this weekend. Oh well.

Then....here's the best part....I was near Livermore and treated myself to a visit to Alden Lane Nursery. It's one of the best garden shops in the area - acres and acres of beautiful plants. I had so much fun - I spent an hour there and could have stayed all day. I bought beautiful, unique flowers for the patio pots and squash, tomatoes, lettuce, peas and herbs for our garden. I can't wait to go back to Alden Lane in a couple weeks - we'll see how these plants do and we'll go back and get more. They guarantee all their plants. It's such a treat to shop there and I can't wait to return.

J. got busy while I was away and finished the second raised bed. He also went to Costco and purchased 20 cubic feet of garden soil! So glad it's Spring and Costco's garden supply section is well stocked. The beds are filled. Tomorrow, we put on the copper tape around the edges of the beds to keep slugs and snails out - and then we're ready to plant! I'm so excited! And of course, then I'll be leaving for a week and J. will be in charge of taking care of our newly planted beds and pots.

Time to dice, chop, saute, cook and simmer! Massive lasagna in progress! I never thought I'd be excited to cook! Having the right tools really helps - good knives, food processor. I'm a lucky, lucky girl!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...