Monday, April 11, 2011

New Things Happening All the Time

I've been to Disneyland dozens of times in my wonderful life - from my first memory of riding in a car and seeing 'it' and being shocked that it was just 'on the street' amid other businesses, etc. to this last trip...and what amazes me the most about this trip is all the 'new' things I've discovered. J. is going to be so excited (probably not, but he'll pretend he is) when I tell him that there are a lot of things we can do in retirement that Disney Resorts can be a big part of.

I bought the 'Hidden Mickey' book this trip and the next time I'm here, I plan to create a 'scavenger hunt' list of Hidden Mickey's to find. There was a Mouse Adventure event this weekend also - a website www.mouseplanet.com - hosts these events at all the Disneyland resorts throughout the year. This weekend was the semi-annual event at Disneyland and yesterday, the park was crawling with 'Mouse Adventure' lanyards. The teams of people work on completing various 'hunts' and quizzes. They can have team shirts and carry clipboards. They gather and whisper a lot. Competition is fierce! And there is a point system to see who 'wins' and an awards banquet at the end of the event. It looked like a ton of fun and I think we might form a 'team' someday and participate.

I had lunch at the Carnation Cafe and it was a pin trading event. I've known about those - but wow, I had no idea how extreme some of the collectors are. These people had bags and bags and BAGS full of pins. And 'back stock' kept in plastic bags. It was pretty incredible. I didn't bring my pin collection (which I've always considered pretty 'big' until this weekend) so I didn't have anything to trade - and since I don't buy more than one of any pin, I wouldn't want to part with any of mine to trade anyway. I don't want to give them up - but in retirement, who knows? Maybe I'll be one of the ladies dressed head to toe in Disney gear, sitting at a table wheeling and dealing from my pin collection. Could happen. Might be fun!

My suitcases are packed and ready. I'm killing time in the hotel while (hopefully) the morning rush hour traffic tapers off a bit. No point in sitting in a car waiting to move. Will get me home later but that's OK. I'll get there when I get there.

It's been a wonderful trip and I've really enjoyed it. Back to the 'grind' tomorrow....

Happy Birthday to my sister who hits the big SIX-ZERO today! She is the definition of '60 is the new 40' - she's like an energizer bunny! Love you! Hope you have a wonderful day!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...