Monday, September 06, 2010

Witches Closing

Feeling a little melancholy because "Wicked" closed last night. Looked for articles on the 'final performance' via Google and found none. But did find that there was a cast change as of July 1st, so 'my' Elphaba (Eden Espinosa) and Glinda (Kendra Kassebaum) were no longer in the show. So now, I don't feel so bad about missing it 'cuz if I had seen it without the two of them in the starring roles, it wouldn't have been the same. So glad I didn't spend a fortune for a 'secondary sale' ticket. I would have been disappointed - and out $200+ dollars.

The campers returned home. They had a nice time. No cell service so we communicated by text message all weekend. I was just getting good at truncating every word -

B. announced on Saturday morning (to me, since I was the only one here) that he was thinking he wanted to move out 'for a couple weeks'. I said 'fine. I'll help you pack - let's go upstairs'. He said 'there are just some things happening here that I can't deal with anymore'. I asked him to elaborate. He said 'well, I just feel like I'm walking on eggshells all the time 'cuz you and Dad are mad all the time'. I replied (very non-tone-like) 'well, we are pretty frustrated with you, B. We ask over and over for you to do the simplest things - and you basically refuse. You use ignoring us as a response. That's not acceptable, won't be acceptable - so yes, I do think moving out would be a great idea. Let's get to packing. Oh, and you won't be taking the car with you - it's our car and you're welcome to make an offer to buy it from us - but you can't afford the insurance on it, so no point in that. And you'll need to arrange to get a cell phone in your name - 'cuz you won't be on our plan anymore. You'll have to figure out how to get from Manteca (where his friend lives that he was planning to stay with) to Livermore and Tracy for work and school - via public transit, which will require more than double the time it takes you now. Possibly triple, maybe quadruple the time - all that waiting for the bus, frequent stops, etc. You'll definitely be budgeting your time differently. But that's OK - if you don't want to be here, which is evident in your behavior lately, then let's get to packing'.

Apparently not the reaction he was expecting since he skulked up to his room. Found him crying in his bed 15 minutes later. Suggested that instead of spending time crying, he work on doing what he was asked to do - clean his room - and in fact, I'll even help! We spent an hour making progress on the two neediest areas (believe me, we could spend days in there on the 'neediest areas' but we started with just two). Looks a lot better. Still some 'room for improvement' but we're taking it a step at a time. There was a noticeable change in 'perspective' that accompanied the effort on the chore list so we'll see how that goes. Frankly, both J. and I are more than ready to have him out of the house...so we'll see how long this lasts.

It's hard to realize that you can't do what you want to do...but everything has consequences. He just got another speeding ticket and he can't take a class for this one - so that's another point on his record. His insurance will go up again - or may even be canceled - in which case, he'll be moving up his date to enlist in the Navy a bit 'cuz we're not going to pay through the teeth for another policy for him. He can't afford it himself 'cuz he's had to pay for the last two semesters of school himself since he has failed to meet our 'minimum grade requirements' to be on our dime. All these little things that add up to not having enough money to pay for his own car insurance may be a consequence that will truly be life changing.

And all this while he gripes incessantly at how his job is scheduling him for 'too many hours'. 'I'm working full time this week - 40 hours - that's just not right'. Um, yes, it is 'right' 'cuz you need the money.

I resist the urge to point out that when I was his age, I worked two jobs, attended college 'full time', paid ALL of my expenses - car insurance, gas, books, tuition and room and board to the people I lived with - AND somehow managed to save up and have enough cash to move into my own (humble) apartment - and never lived with someone else again until I moved in with J. before we were married.

It's my version of 'when I was your age, I had to walk five miles in snow to get to school'.....it falls on deaf ears, usually. As most things do with him....

We call it 'Living in the Land of B.'.

It's a charming place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and J being the hard nose parents you need to be! Way to go team - finally, a more united, stronger, harder stance. Although it is horridly painful, it is very necessary ..... now, hold on for round two, three, or beyond. Eventually B will get the idea and begin to stand on his own perhaps, in your presence. Here for you anytime - hugs,
K

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...