Thursday, September 02, 2010

Grammar

I've been reading a blog that is written by a person I used to work with a long, LONG time ago. Several jobs ago. Knowing this person gives context to the stories that might otherwise be lacking....and knowing this person lets me overlook things about her writing that I might otherwise not be able to overlook....

Except....

It's very hard for me to read 'so glad I put ribs in the crock pot this morning. The house smelt so good when I got home.....'.

Um....it's so hard for me to not write 'you just used the word for a small, bony fish instead of the word 'smelled' which is what you intended'.

Stuff like this happens in her writing all the time. Everything is 'correct' and flowing nicely, and then all of the sudden, there's a completely wrong word thrown in - not just misspellings or typos...wrong words used in the wrong context.

It makes me crazy....

And people leave her glowing comments about 'love your writing' or 'you have such a way with words'.

Uh, yeah...she uses them incorrectly frequently.

Bugs me....and I stop reading. And sure enough, I read again one day - just decide to check in (like today) and there it is again....same thing. Over and over....

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. Typos and misspellings I can look past. But using wrong words - completely wrong - bugs the heck out of me. And apparently no one ever gently corrects her so she knows she's making mistakes and can fix them. So they hang out there - post after post - forever. Which makes reading her archives too painful to attempt.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this....except it's 5:30AM and I'm tired and (apparently) grumpier than I'd like to admit.

I'm going to get ready for work and get my 'happy' on. Even if it kills me. Wouldn't want J. to find my dead body here in the study when he wakes up. It won't smelt good.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...